Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to these forums.
Just got a 6.0. I think I may have gotten one with issues. There is a check engine light on. I think its and EGR code not sure yet. I should have done more research. I had been looking at V10's but this one popped up and was a good deal.

Can anyone point me to some useful information about this truck? If its an EGR code, How bad could it be? Is this truck done?

I am mostly just an on observer when it comes to working on cars and trucks. So any information you can share about this truck, like videos showing things that you think I should check as a "new to me truck", or maintenance suggestions, would be great, might have to get my hands dirty.

The check engine light has me a little worried, and I just now read that this year 6.0 is a problematic one.

·
Super Moderator
1,736 Posts
Sorry to bear bad news, but the 6.0 has a LOT of problems. The engine was made for Ford by Navistar (International). The good news is that they are all fixable, but require pulling the engine, which requires the cab to be removed.

Start with ARP head studs. If you do not start with the basics (the ARP studs) then anything else done will be a waste of money.
Then check out the FICM, especially the soldering joints. Best to just resolder them with the engine out as the connections always seem to fail. The EGR and oil coolers also fail like clockwork. Check the aftermarket, do not use Navistar parts.

The turbo is also a huge problem, replace it with a newer part number WITH THE NEW OIL DRAIN TUBE and be sure to COOL THE NEW TURBO DOWN BY IDLING AFTER DRIVING to prevent coking the oil.

Next replace the high pressure oil pump. Clean or replace the EGR valve and that should cover most of the problems.

These parts are expensive and a lot of work to install, but when done, you will now have a reliable and powerful Diesel that should last many years. This is all off the "top of my head" from my '04 Excursion which gave me problems since new until I finally dug in and fixed them. You will find a lot of info on line in Diesel forums

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to bear bad news, but the 6.0 has a LOT of problems. The engine was made for Ford by Navistar (International). The good news is that they are all fixable, but require pulling the engine, which requires the cab to be removed.

Start with ARP head studs. If you do not start with the basics (the ARP studs) then anything else done will be a waste of money.
Then check out the FICM, especially the soldering joints. Best to just resolder them with the engine out as the connections always seem to fail. The EGR and oil coolers also fail like clockwork. Check the aftermarket, do not use Navistar parts.

The turbo is also a huge problem, replace it with a newer part number WITH THE NEW OIL DRAIN TUBE and be sure to COOL THE NEW TURBO DOWN BY IDLING AFTER DRIVING to prevent coking the oil.

Next replace the high pressure oil pump. Clean or replace the EGR valve and that should cover most of the problems.

These parts are expensive and a lot of work to install, but when done, you will now have a reliable and powerful Diesel that should last many years. This is all off the "top of my head" from my '04 Excursion which gave me problems since new until I finally dug in and fixed them. You will find a lot of info on line in Diesel forums

Thank you, this should help me get started. I think a few of these have been replace by the previous owner. Not sure about the turbo. I found and old thread about code P0401 code. This is the code the truck throws, some of the other things aren't ready.

Given what I read in that old thread I am thinking about doing MAF cleaner, air filter replacement, and EGR Valve cleaning to remedy this check engine light.

·
Super Moderator
1,736 Posts
A couple of band aids:
The EGR valve will default to open if disconnected when the ignition is off.
I turned .002 off the inside of my turbo's unison plate and polished the body. (Like most things, this is best to do yourself, but you need a lathe or a TRUSTED machine shop) This after three turbos were replaced under warranty by Ford, and before the updated turbo was released. That mod seemed to work, but I sold the truck about 30 k miles later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts