Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Ford Escape with the 3.0L Duratec v6 that I have had to replace a head gasket on. It was the rear bank and I took the opportunity to replace the head gasket on the front cylinders as well. After much time and struggle both head gaskets have been replaced. I purchased a new timing chain set and here is where I am running into trouble. I installed the front chain with minimal problems. The rear chain is where the project has come off the rails. I was unable to rotate the crankshaft to the 3 o'clock position because I am bumping into the exhaust valves on the number 3 cylinder. I am stuck, I can either get the crankshaft to the 3 o'clock position OR the exhaust cam shaft to the 9 o'clock position but NOT both at the same time as the timing chain procedure says. I have ordered the complete Ford manual set hoping beyond hope that there is some information in there that could help. We have made so much progress on this car and just need to get past this to get her on the road again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,095 Posts
This should help

I don’t fully understand what you mean but if you’re saying what I think you are it’s because you have to rotate the crankshaft multiple times due to it being a 4 cycle engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This should help

I don’t fully understand what you mean but if you’re saying what I think you are it’s because you have to rotate the crankshaft multiple times due to it being a 4 cycle engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok. First, thanks for the help. Second, after reading that procedure my problems stem from my NOT following the procedure for removing the timing chains. I assumed that all of the precision work was on the re-assembly. When the heads were off we made sure the number one cylinder was at TDC then we re-installed the heads and proceeded on to the timing chains where we started paying for hubris in disassembly. So, any thoughts on where to go from here. There has to be a procedure for getting the cams in their neutral position to install the chains. I hope...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts