Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy -

My car's been making an odd 'howling' sound for a while. This week it turned into a terrible clatter coming from the accessories. Traced it to the A/C pulley, thinking the bearing went south since the sound changes when the compressor clutch engages.

Searched for this, but couldn't find anything. How do I go about removing the A/C pulley and clutch from the compressor? I have the serpentine belt off, no problems. There was a single 8mm bolt in the center of the clutch that came out without a problem. I think using a longer bolt might push this pulley and clutch off, but not sure.

Almost forgot, the compressor spins fine and A/C works ok. The pulley has a ton of free play an feels like it has sand instead of bearings when I spin it by hand ;-]

Please help!

Thank you - Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I firgurd out how to get the hub and pulley off. I replaced the bearing, which then burned up in about 15 miles...

I need to replace the whole assemblly. The clutch is dragging, which I think overheated the bearing in no time flat.

I've got it arapt, but can't really see how the electromagnet part is connected. Is it pressed on, do I need to use a puller?

ANY and ALL help appreciated, please!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FOUND IT!!

This post was for an 01 Taurus, but I checked out the compressor pics on the Autozone site and they have the same 'big posts' on the backing plate / hub. They have the same mounting arrangement of the compressor, as well as the small bolt in the center of the hub. Different PN's, probably due to internal differences.

I used to work as a tech in the R&D lab at Park Hannifin test Thermal Expansion Valves for auto AC - many cars share the exact same compressors - visteon /denso are the two I really remember. Most times there are few differences except for maybe how the variable displacement is set up, for example (it it is a VD compressor).

I figured I'd repost it here, for anyone else that has a similar problem in the future. I'm 99.9% certain it's the same for my Focus - the instructions all match what I've done.

Removal of A/C clutch:

1. Remove the A/C compressor as noted above.

µ 2. Remove the A/C clutch hub retaining bolt.

1 Hold the A/C clutch hub with the special tool.

2 Remove the bolt.

µ 3. Remove the A/C clutch (2884) and the A/C clutch hub spacer (19D648).

1 Thread an 8 x 1.25 mm bolt into the A/C clutch to force it from the compressor shaft.

2 Lift the A/C clutch and the A/C clutch hub spacer from the compressor shaft.

µ 4. Remove the pulley snap ring.

µ 5. Remove the A/C clutch pulley (2E884).

µ 6. CAUTION:
Do not use air tools. The A/C compressor clutch field coil (2987) can be easily damaged.

Remove the A/C compressor clutch field coil.

1 Note the location of the A/C compressor clutch field coil electrical connector.

2 Install the special tool on the nose opening of the A/C compressor.

3 Install the special tool.

4 Remove the A/C compressor clutch field coil.

Installation of the A/C clutch

1. Clean the A/C compressor clutch field coil and pulley bearing mounting surfaces.

µ 2. CAUTION:
Do not use air tools. The A/C compressor clutch field coil can be easily damaged.

Install the A/C compressor clutch field coil.

1 Place the A/C compressor clutch field coil on the A/C compressor with the A/C compressor clutch field coil electrical connector correctly positioned.

2 Place the special tool on the A/C compressor clutch field coil.

3 Place the special tool on the special tool.

4 Use the special tool to install the A/C compressor clutch field coil until bottomed completely against the A/C compressor.

µ 3. Note:
The A/C clutch pulley is a tight fit on the A/C compressor head; it must be correctly aligned during installation.

Install the A/C clutch pulley.

µ 4. Install the pulley snap ring with the bevel side out.

µ 5. Place one nominal thickness A/C clutch hub spacer inside the clutch hub spline opening.

µ 6. Install the A/C clutch.

µ 7. Install the A/C clutch hub retaining bolt.

1 Hold the A/C clutch hub with the special tool.

2 Tighten the bolt.

µ 8. Measure and adjust the clutch air gap by removing or adding A/C clutch hub spacers.

9. Install the A/C compressor. (See above first section)

Here are the special tools:
Clutch And Clutch Field Coil

Special Service Tool(s)

2-Jaw Puller
205-D026 (D80L-1002-L) or equivalent

Installer, A/C Compressor Coil
412-065 (T89P-19623-EH)

Holding Fixture, Compressor Clutch
412-103 (T95L-19703-AH)

Remover, Differential Bearing
205-116 (T77F-4220-B1)

Installer, A/C Compressor Field Coil
412-078 (T91L-19623-CH)

Remover, A/C Compressor Field Coil
412-067 (T89P-19623-FH)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
thefonz
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing