Ford Forums banner

2003 Mountaineer

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Ballerina 
#1 ·
My car started making a funny noise one morning. At first it sounded like the noise of sticking a straw in a fan. Checked but that was not it. Sounds like it was coming from the top side of the engine. While driving the car died and when I try to start it makes the regular noise at first but then like a whirring type noise. I was told it was the cam shaft, then I was told it blew a rod, then someone else said it was the alternator, and one other person said a new engine. It didn't over heat at all. It had oil, did have an oil change about a month before this happened. The noise still happened while driving and of course every mechanic said that they can't tell until they pull the engine apart to see what's up.
I'ma single mom and cannot afford that. Is there any way else of diagnosing? They ran the computer on it and there were codes that came up, but the only one I remember is a misfire. Can anyone help or advise?

#9 ·
I know you don't have them, but codes will tell you a lot for what's going on in the engine. An alternator can be bench tested at a lot of parts houses.

I bring up the power steering pump, because (in my opinion) Ford power steering pumps are noisier than most. If they're low on fluid, they're incredibly noisy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.