Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Life-long Ford guy...
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our Taurus is putting off an increasingly stronger gas odor. At first it seemed strongest near the rear of the vehicle, so I had a local mechanic remove the fuel tank and check everything on top. He replaced a seal and reinstalled the tank.

The problem is still with us, and now I think the odor is coming from underneath the car or from inside the engine compartment.

Can any of you offer suggestions as to what might be the source of this problem and what to look for to move towards a fix?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

·
Super Moderator
19,663 Posts
If not a capless fuel system , could try replacing cap though usually throws a code . You could check crankcase breather / hose . You can also get an acrid smell from battery if an overcharging alternator , and a smell from the exhaust cat convertor . Just guesses as really hard to say without being there to witness smell .

·
Administrator
12,240 Posts
I believe the charcoal vapor canister on the 03 is underneath, near the tank. Could be saturated with fuel.

Saturated Evap Canister

This one can happen when you fill the fuel tank pass its capacity. The spill liquid will be forced into the evap canister. This device is not built to hold liquid form. The liquid gasoline that enters won’t be able to be purged properly which will result in vapor canister saturated.

·
Life-long Ford guy...
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. He's going to take another look at it this week. I'll follow up after we get it squared away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any chance you can let it sit for a full day? Find some cardboard, tape it together, and sit it flat under the car. Run the car for 20 minutes or so but maybe leave it sitting there after you run it for a day. See if there’s any actual leak. I’m thinking the possibility of a bad / leaking fuel filter, though an overflowing vapor canister might also be an easy to check problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our Taurus is putting off an increasingly stronger gas odor. At first it seemed strongest near the rear of the vehicle, so I had a local mechanic remove the fuel tank and check everything on top. He replaced a seal and reinstalled the tank.

The problem is still with us, and now I think the odor is coming from underneath the car or from inside the engine compartment.

Can any of you offer suggestions as to what might be the source of this problem and what to look for to move towards a fix?

Thanks in advance,

Rick
Took my car (Kia Soul) to local Ford/KIA dealership and said I smelled gas but more of a propane gas smell. The service manager thought he knew exactly what it was and he was RIGHT. Dead mouse in filter in my glove box. True story!!! He showed me the dead mouse carcass and the bedding they made of bits of napkins and paper. It MIGHT be as simple as that. They removed and put a new filter in and I never smelled it again. BTW, my other rig is a 2004 F-150 that still looks and runs good and has 246K miles. Gets NO gas mileage but still looks good!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thanks in advance,

Rick

·
Super Moderator
19,663 Posts
Took my car (Kia Soul) to local Ford/KIA dealership and said I smelled gas but more of a propane gas smell. The service manager thought he knew exactly what it was and he was RIGHT. Dead mouse in filter in my glove box. True story!!! He showed me the dead mouse carcass and the bedding they made of bits of napkins and paper. It MIGHT be as simple as that. They removed and put a new filter in and I never smelled it again. BTW, my other rig is a 2004 F-150 that still looks and runs good and has 246K miles. Gets NO gas mileage but still looks good!
Thanks for updating the forum , glad you got it fixed though rather unusual solution but have heard of similar before .

·
Registered
35 Posts
I assume the check engine light wasnt on?? A vacuum leak will cause a lean condition which will trigger the o2 sensors to signal this info to the ecu and the ecu will richen the fuel trim to compensate,causing the engine to run rich and smell of raw fuel/exhaust gases from the tailpipes. Do the fumes exist only when the engine is running or are they present with the engine off too??

·
Life-long Ford guy...
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay. Here is the news: it was a crack in the line where it comes out of the fuel pump. The pump connector exits the tank and makes a 90 degree elbow at which point the main line connects taking fuel to the engine. Immediately you are all thinking, "how did that happen?"

About three months ago my wife was leaving a parking lot in a town near us where a lot of road construction is taking place. She entered at the obviously well-used drive into the parking lot. But as she departed, she for some reason took an old driveway next to the building. It was an overcast day, and she did not see a hole in the road where the asphalt adjoins the concrete drive. So, the right front wheel dropped into the hole, leaving the bodywork on the ground, and the left rear tire in the air!

I think the lateral flex of that "trauma" started a crack in that elbow, and that it took it several months to become severe enough to indicate trouble. I am also beginning to sense a bit of suspension looseness in this car that I previously did not have. (The dozen or so nearby road crew workers helped her get it out of the hole that day by lifting the right front while the two biggest ones sat on the left rear of the trunk to provide ballast).

Back to the fix, the mechanic found it by having me pour a dye into the tank and then fill it full, to subsequently run it down to almost empty. When I took the car back to him he put it on the rack and took a black light and shazzam!!! the dye lit up green. In his words, "it looked like somebody had slaughtered an alien between the tank and the underbody."

I've had the car back several days and no fumes, so I'm going to consider it a case closed.

Thanks again to all for your interest and input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts