Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my friend's Focus. She was stopped at a red light and when it turned green the car wouldn't move at all. She parked it and I came to look at it. Attached is a video of the sound it was making in Drive and Reverse. After shifting through the gears a few times it stopped making this noise but still wouldn't move at all when I gave it some gas. It is parked in a lot in the middle of the city right now and she doesn't have the money to tow it.

The Blue Book for this car is only $1200 so my advice to her was that she should just have someone pick it up and give her cash for it.

Let me know what you think.

·
Super Moderator
22,051 Posts
Anything to do with that transmission on a car that year is usually not worth doing . What you could check is to see if it is a driveshaft / c/v joint completely gone or splines at hub also maybe sheared and just spinning . But be careful if someone is revving car in D if you are anywhere underneath looking , try turning wheels or look from the side if possible in case it picks up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything to do with that transmission on a car that year is usually not worth doing . What you could check is to see if it is a driveshaft / c/v joint completely gone or splines at hub also maybe sheared and just spinning . But be careful if someone is revving car in D if you are anywhere underneath looking , try turning wheels or look from the side if possible in case it picks up.
Good idea about the cv joints. But if the car is not moving at all wouldn't that mean that both cv joints would have to have sheared at the exact same time? Which seems improbable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
One bad CV joint is enough to cause it, because the standard differential will spin.

Also check the fluid level. If it’s too low, the torque converter can’t do it’s job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts