Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello as the title state I have 4.6 L 2004 Grand Marquis with ECAT. One day my blower motor stopped working. The blend door moved to the different settings. I hooked the blower motor direct to the battery and it ran. I then decided it might be the variable resistor module. So instead of buying a $180 motor craft one I bought a $45 one, but it did come with a 10 year warrantee. So that thing is a total pain to install, but I did. Turned on the car if the blower came back. Life was good in SA TX. But now intermitantly, the blower only runs at high and med/high settings. If I have it on max it blows harder than when at normal. The defrost, floor, mix buttons respond accordingly. When I turn off the AC from the ECAT it defaults to defrost at high fan setting. Usually when I shut the car off and turn back on it goes back to normal operation. And sometimes while driving the issues comes and goes, but seems for the most part to start out in normal opp, then go to high settings and stay in that condition. Any suggestions from the awesome people here? I appreciate any help. I have read that some times your blower motor is operating but drawing too much current and needs to be replaced. I measure amps at many settings, but have no numbers for what normal opp readings should be.

Here they are: Normal Operation. Haywire Operation
normal ac setting high 14.5 - 15 amps 15.6 amps
normal ac setting low 3.75 amps
Max AC setting high 17.5 amps 18.6 amps
Max AC setting low 4.9 amps
off 0 (as it should be) 13.6 amps

·
Super Moderator
8,354 Posts
There's instructions for performing self diagnostics on this site. I cannot validate the company, I just found them researching your problems. There are two modules they perform the self test on, so if the first one doesn't look like yours, it might be the second.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's instructions for performing self diagnostics on this site. I cannot validate the company, I just found them researching your problems. There are two modules they perform the self test on, so if the first one doesn't look like yours, it might be the second.

Thanks, I did try that before I replaced the resistor module, and it didn't report anything. I'll have to try now when it starts to malfunction.

·
Super Moderator
1,351 Posts
Possibly leaking "O" rings in your EATC? They will cause erratic operation if leaking and are cheap and easy to replace.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts