Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Hawthorn Supporter
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.F1-live.com

Bernie Ecclestone has revealed that the San Marino Grand Prix is the latest European event to be told that it will no longer be a part of the F1 calendar. This year’s Imola race will the final event.

Although it is called the San Marino GP, the race is held in Italy, which meant Ferrari’s home country held two events. However, as of 2005 Italy will only have one grand prix, which will be held at Monza.

The first San Marino Grand Prix was held at Imola in 1979. It was a non-championship event, as Formula One used to adhere to the rule that there was only one race per country, with only the odd exception. Although it hosted many great races, the Imola circuit will forever be remembered as the venue where the great Ayrton Senna died in 1994, so it seems somewhat fitting that the track’s final race should be on the tenth anniversary of his death.

“This year is Imola’s last. From 2005 it will vanish from the calendar and Italy will have only one race,” Ecclestone told Gazzetta dello Sport.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hooray!

Ever since '94 that track has been crap. Can't overtake on it or anything. I am waiting for them to axe Hungary too. That is the worst round of the year!

·
2,922 Posts
Yeah, I have never been a great fan of Imola, but there are a few other tracks which are just as bad.

Have to wait and see if any of the new tracks world wide are any good! And I can't wait to see them - bring on the 2004 season!

Cheers... Tim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts