Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The right rear fender well has rusted out, you can see into the interior storage compartment. And the rust crack continues up and around the upper shock mount allowing it to move/flex. Making for a loud banging noise in the cabin. Any ideas for a quick and easy solution?

Attachments

·
2002 F150 XLT
11,012 Posts
That was possibly repaired from an accident. It's VERY unusual for something like that to happen. If it hasn't been repaired, see your dealer so they can be advised.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not a repair from an accident, it only 7 years old and 115,000 miles. Well past the warranty, I don't think a dealer/Ford will cover it. Just Michigan winter roads I'm guessing.

·
2002 F150 XLT
11,012 Posts
That still is unusual. The Windstar has a recall for rust on the suspension. I'd still have a factory rep inspect it. Have you had it since new? I'm originally from Michigan and the left sides rust more because the pour the stuff in the center of the road and it runs outward.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've contacted my dealership and salesman, and they have no secret recalls. I'm waiting for him to give the factory rep's phone number. However I did go to the Ford website and left them an email stating that this is a safety issue and it needs to be address. Also, our Q.C. manager at drives a 2005 Escape, we looked at his right rear fender well, and it's doing the same thing. I contacted a couple of bodyshops in the area. They could quote me the two parts needed and the 15 hours it takes to repair the shock mount, because they have done a few. They also said that this problem is common on 2004, 2005, & 2006 models. The 15 hours is that the repair is from the outside and the inside, removing the interior trim and laying welding blankets down, so they don't burn the vehicle up. I sure hope Ford can fix it for me, or at least help pay for most of the repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same problem - 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid - right rear wheel well - and the shock mount is no longer securely attached, the rust is so bad. 129,000 miles. I'm in Ann Arbor, Michigan

I'd like to know whether you had this repaired, or ever got any better response from Ford.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have talked to Ford, there is no recall or repair campaign for it. They offer us an X plan to trade it in or they would fix it at full price. I have sent pictures to the Ford factory rep. He told us that Ford knows of this problem and that they have installed two new processes on the product line to fix it. He showed the picture to the Escape engineers and they agreed that it is a design fault and Ford is responsible for the unsafe state that it's in. Unfortunately none of them will put it in writing, in fear of losing their jobs. I also wrote an email to the National Highway Transportation Safety Bureau in Washington DC and still have not heard anything from them.

I got quotes from different body shops in the area, both at $1200.00. And they have repaired other Ford Escapes with the same defect. The repair has to be done from the inside to replace the fender well. Thus all the interior trim has to be removed and welding blanket used so they don’t burn your vehicle up.

I still have not had it fixed yet. I have posted my issues on Facebook looking for more people with the same problem. I should have a website up and running soon also. And will be contacting the local media with a list of people with the same problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm looking for them to fix their mistake with no cost to me. I shouldn't have to pay dealership repair cost and only get a 12,000 miles or 6 months warranty. I drive 25,000 miles a years, 12,000 miles would be gone in less than 6 months. And I'm sure that repair quote will be double that of the current quote I have. In talking to the factory rep, he said that when they repair this problem, they use a plasma torch to cut away that section and then weld in the new parts. And that they have repaired a few at the dealerships around the plant. This is not a new problem, it's just that to the best of my knowledge nobody has pushed the issue enough to start a recall or repair campaign.

To answer your question, I want all the people who are living with this unsafe driving issue, given the chance to have Ford fix their mistake with little or no money out of the Escape owner's pocket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree. It's clearly a manufacturing defect. The rest of my vehicle is in great shape, and this one critical spot is totally rotted out. the shock is bouncing up and down in the interior of my vehicle!

·
joeinbuffalo
2 Posts
Thanks for the info. Just had my 2004 Escape inspected today, and the tech called me back to see a hole the size of a grapefruit just a few inches from the shock/strut mount, in the right rear wheel well. Can see the back of the stereo speaker clear as day. Definitely seems potentially dangerous. Sounds like Ford will work with you, heading to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just found today that I have the same problem! Looked fine a month ago now makes a big bang when going over bumps. Looked this afternoon and I can see internal parts clear as day through rusted hole.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Those pictures are very graphic, impressive, and concerning. I have an '04 Escape and went out and checked my wheelwells right away. They still look great, and I changed the rear shocks April of '11. The only thing I noticed at that time was rust at the shock tower opening because the insulators on the shocks usu. leak a bit after initially deforming when new. I put grease on the shock tower opening then to prevent additional corrosion with the new shocks.
I live in MN, and have similar winters and salt problems like the other parts of North America that were mentioned. The thing that may have saved my wheelwells is the fact that I wash my car with the garden hose. Anytime it's about 25 degrees F (and sunny) or above I can get away with this. I'll use a hose with the male connector cut off so as not to ding the finish. Then I'll direct the hose underneath the lip of the wheelwell as well as throughout the well, this of course in addition to the exterior finish. When spring comes my driveway has quite a bit of sand that I washed away (and assumedly salt) that might otherwise be retaining water and causing corrosion.
I realize a lot of people won't do this, and yes, your hands get very cold. I'm probably more compulsive than most, but also have never been a fan of automated car washes. I think the force of the water they use finds its way into places it shouldn't.
I'm not saying the other posters don't have valid cases for redress, I'm just offering a potential solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you, RonyG, for taking the time to post about this problem and for the updates. I have the exact same problem. Two days ago (with my two young sons in the car), I heard a bang then very loud rattling from the right rear of my 2005 escape. I found that the shock and a dinner-plate-sized chunk of the right rear wheel well (say THAT 5 times fast) had punched a hole up into the back compartment. When I open the liftgate, I can see the top of the shock. The cover to the jack compartment popped off and the right side of the floor has been shoved up about 5-10 cm.

Trying to determine whom I should call first: body shop, used car dealer from whom I bought the car, local Ford dealer, a lawyer . . . any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
18,952 Posts
Depending how long ago you bought it from used car dealer whether it would be worthwhile contacting him .Unless fairly recent I wouldn't bother and go direct to Ford dealer first asap , and see what they say and take it from there . Lets know how you get on ?

1 - 20 of 204 Posts
About this Discussion
203 Replies
70 Participants
prehberg
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing