Ford Forums banner

201 - 204 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined this forum because of this issue. I was down in PA visiting family and noticed my shock was through the rusted wheel well and pressed into the plastic in my trunk. I took it to a local shop and they removed the shock so i was able to get back home to Vermont.
I Just paid off a brand new motor i had installed about a year ago so i need to get this fixed, purchasing another vehicle isnt an option right now. I called my Ford dealership they wont touch it.
I live in southern Vermont but if anyone knows any shops that will repair this at a fair price in VT, NY, or Mass i would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 06 Escape and have recently discovered this same problem. I saw in the early postings of this thread that one gentlemen did get Ford to offer to pay the repair in full. I have started a petition on change.org to petition Ford to initiate a recall on the Escapes. In my research, I have discovered there are thousands of people with this problem. Please sign the petition, Ford needs to take responsibility for this defect!

https://www.change.org/p/mark-fields-ford-recall-the-escape-for-rust-problems?recruiter=479594430&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=share_email_responsive

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ford told me to take it to the dealer. Fortunately, I am able to take mine to the dealer I bought mine from in 06 and they have been trying to get Ford to handle it (no luck yet).

·
Registered
2 Posts
check out the wearbss web page. great idea if not a little overpriced, but something I think most diy'ers could do. If i could get the dimensions of the bracket they make I'd have a pair welded up myself and install them but cant find any specs on them at all.I have the same problem as you with my 2004 escape. didn't notice a problem till i started hearing a loud clunking noise in the right rear area every time i hit a bump. Pulled back the interior panel to discover not only a hole big enough to put my fist thru but also the top of the bolt on the shock had rusted thru and fell off. Personally cant afford the BSS repair kit at the moment so i am fixing it best I can with some welded in plating and a replacement shock and some fibreglass blanket to seal up the holes. But definitely take a look at the BSS website. Bracket looks really solid and well made and if you have the tools required and the time to do it, they seem like a pretty good alternative to paying big bucks to a garage. And the website has a really good video series on how to do the repair step by step.

201 - 204 of 204 Posts
About this Discussion
203 Replies
70 Participants
prehberg
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing