Ford Forums banner

21 - 40 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A friend of mine just took his 2005 Escape to a Ford dealership to have it looked at. And they said he needed new shocks and stuts. After looking at the pictures I'm not sure how they mounted the shock into the right rear fender well without saying a thing about it. Someone should have stepped up and told him about it not being safe to drive in that condition. That is just wrong, he's headed back to the dealership and requesting a full refund for the labor and parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The repairmen must be clueless, shameless, drunk, high, or all the above.

Listen, I have learned more than I ever wished to know about recalls this week. Here is what EVERYONE must do.

Call Ford Customer Relationship Center 1-800-392-3673. Have your VIN ready. They probably won't help much, but at least you will be in their records.

Enter a formal complaint at ford.com. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and click 'contact us'. Under "email us about vehicles and service" click 'Ford'. Be concise and polite.

Now, most importantly, you MUST file a complaint at NHTSA, the agency that makes car companies issue recalls. Go to www.safercar.gov, click the box "report a vehicle or child seat defect", click 'file a complaint' on the left.
It may help to call, also. USDOT vehicle safety hotline 1-888-327-4236 or 1-800-424-9393.

More reports = better chance of Ford taking responsibility. Prayers will help, too.

I got two estimates: $5700 from the dealership and $4700 from a local body shop.
Can't afford that. Car is not safe to drive to work or take kids to school, soccer, karate, violin . . .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just noticed this same problem I have a 2005 Ford Escape, Back Right Wheel Well completely hanging on by a thread. I checked my Vin on Fords recall website "Currently, there are no listed recalls for your vehicle."
I telephoned Ford and notified them of the problem I mentioned that after a quick Google search I found dozens on dozens of people reporting this same issue. They made it seem like everything posted to the internet was irrelevant because people have nothing better to do than make stuff up about a specific issue about a specific Make Model Car with a Specific problem in a specific location. This is absurd! Even though just by my first name and the telephone number I was calling from they had all my information perhaps that was make believe and irrelevant information too?? Any way I reported the issue to Ford and Office of Defects Investigation (ODI). I was issued a Case number from Ford to give to a local Ford dealership to post a request, I asked what the request did and basically would notify me IF the request would go through that I may be entitled for a reimbursement IF there is ever a recall, best thing to do is have every one report this issue. I contacted a local ford dealership they said it could cost thousands of dollars to fix and I still owe on the car.
Extreme close up here --> http://i.imgur.com/kl9RjPl.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok so after a week of hassle and unexpected expenses I am finally back on the road in a presumably safe roadworthy vehicle. I visited my local Ford dealership and was quoted an estimate of $7,000.00 to fix my issue. The Bodyshop Vehicle Damage Assessor said there are three panels which must be ordered and welded for the proper fix, one said panel is approximately $1,500.00 and the other two in the approximate ball park of $400. After putting the word out via friends, I was made aware that YET another person I was acquainted with had the exact SAME problem in the SAME spot! This person took their vehicle to a local Welding and Trailer Sales and Service shop near by stating the fix was “a few hundred dollars.” I took my escape to the shop and found that a “a few hundred dollars” was precisely $761.00 in my case. The only thing you can do here is weld the problem and seal it. Keep all your receipts, quotes and estimates finally, REPORT THE ISSUE without attention to the problem the unsung heroes continue to get taken to the cleaners. I was told by Ford that they would “note” my incident associate with my VIN and if ever a recall they would motion for a “request” to comp some of the cost. I figure I will send them a formal report of my incident including copies of all my receipts, quotes and estimates and of course photos. It this effort benefits me personally or anyone with this same issue I will feel vindicated. My assumption is that the outer wheel well panel was cheap metal; however, the Bodyshop Vehicle Damage Assessor mentioned other year escapes have the same problem… The repair image Extreme close up --> http://i.imgur.com/Ua4WqjZl.jpg

·
Super Moderator
18,953 Posts
No disrespect but that looks a terrible repair with so many different patches welded in .Not unless I'm seeing it different or it's more involved than I can see .I would never have sent a job out from our b/shop like that .Maybe that's why it was so much cheaper .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had any luck with getting Ford to do anything about this issue? My 2004 Escape has the same problem. We took it to the dealership we bought it from and they claimed they have never seen the issue, quoted $8,000 to repair it and advised us to call Ford's customer service. We are currently getting all our research done to go in with a good argument. This is a safety issue and Ford needs to do the responsible thing and get these cars in a recall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gotta love internet forums. My Mom just discovered this very same problem on her 2005 Escape Hybrid with 115,000 miles - massive corrosion on the right rear wheel well and shock mount. The dealer initially quoted $5000, but is working on a revised quote. She is leaning towards replacement rather than repair, but we shall see.

:noNO:I have major questions of whether the nearby hybrid system battery could be to blame, and also why the dealer didn't notify her of this problem sooner. She has the oil changed regularly at the dealer. Wouldn't a problem like this be obvious during a tire rotation?

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2005 Escape Limited has been mine since new. It also has the shock mount broken off because of a rusted wheel well on the rear passenger side. It has been rearended but not bad enough to cause more than a scratch. We have 3 Ford vehicles and this is the only one with this issue. Additionally, we have rust in the Fuel Door cup. Less critical and easier fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just noticed this same problem I have a 2005 Ford Escape, Back Right Wheel Well completely hanging on by a thread. I checked my Vin on Fords recall website "Currently, there are no listed recalls for your vehicle."

I telephoned Ford and notified them of the problem I mentioned that after a quick Google search I found dozens on dozens of people reporting this same issue. They made it seem like everything posted to the internet was irrelevant because people have nothing better to do than make stuff up about a specific issue about a specific Make Model Car with a Specific problem in a specific location. This is absurd!

Not only is it absurd, it's at best dishonest and at worst potentially recall fraud. Ford knows full well this is an issue with their 2005 models at least and likely their 2004 as well. I am saddened to see a company that has come so far in product design and customer satisfaction ignoring a safety issue recall like this. To me as a consumer it appears as if they are hoping the vehicles will all simply age out and no longer be an issue. So they don't have to pay anything for repairs.

Here is a copy of Ford's own FAQ - look at the shear number of complaints. My friend has this same issue with his daughter's 2005 Ford Escape and you can't buy the parts to fix it. He ended up working with a welding expert to patch it.
Ford Escape 2005 - Suspension - car safety information, failing parts, recalls, bulletins, complaints

This could result in a death and Ford could be liable. They might end up paying far more in liability damages than if they simply came up with an engineering fix and offered a secret recall or perhaps offered a good trade in offer on the vehicle towards a new model. Does Mike Rowe know? I suspect he'd stop representing them if he did.

-Nyle

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2004 Escape, All off a sudden I was driving hit small dips in the road and heard a bang in the back of my car, thought my door wasn't shut tight. Asked my neighbor about it he started looking around and saw that my right wheel well was rusted out. He has never seen anything like it. I have to take the day off of work to try to find some one to fix it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I came across this site after my friend had his '04 Escape inner fender rot out. Here are some pictures of the repair. The failure seems to stem from the factory undercoating. Their was a lot of dirt between the undercoating and the panel when I was removing it to get to good metal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't believe that this isn't a class action suit! I too, have a 2005 Escape Limited that I bought new Dec 2004. I heard a noise coming from the passenger rear and upon checking it looked exactly like everyones pictures in this feed!
I have taken it to my local Ford dealer, and the body shop manager was not in, but he tech took pics to show him. I am awaiting a call for the verdict. I went to an independent body shop where I was told I should go to a Ford dealer because it definitely looked like a defect. He told me that it was going to be costly due to having to take out the interior, so that its not burn during the repair. He said it is not an easy job.
My car interior and exterior are in very good condition, and it runs beautifully. I can't believe that Ford is not standing behind their product. This was my second Ford Escape, and afraid it will be my last if Ford doesn't come through on this problem!

·
Administrator
8,172 Posts
Sorry about those post truckie36. Our spam system flagged them and I failed to notice that they needed approval.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2005 Ford Escape, live in Michigan and have the same problem with the right rear shock mount rusting, large chuncks of the wheel well have fallen off, you can see the rer compartment and it is making a lot of noise.
I called the dealer and they said Ford only covers rust from inside out for first 5 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took my vehicle to the Ford Body Shop. They told me it was not covered under warranty and gave me a quote of $4000 to repair.
The rear fender would have to be cut out to replace the inner fender then reattached and painted.
I went to a body shop and received a similar quote. They said that they could only replace with new parts as there was no way to repair the rust damage by welding. The unibody sheet metal is so thin, almost all rusted and could not be welded. They also stated that there is too much of a liability to try and repair.
Next I contacted a restoration shop. They told me the same thing. Would be a liability to repair.
I spoke with Ford customer care twice, the second time escalating to a supervisor. They absolutely cannot and will not not do anything since there is no recall related to this issue.

I next called the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and logged a safety complaint. Call them by phone: 1-888-327-4236 Monday-Friday, 8:00AM to 8:00PM Eastern

I would encourage all affected by this type of problem to do the same. There are over 30 safety complaints related to the 2005 Escape for rust in the passenger rear wheel and the shock mount rusting off.

My vehicle is otherwise in excellent condition with 83,000 miles but with a blue book value of 8000 it would be tuff to justify spending at least 4000 to repair something that should never of happened on vehicle of this age with so little miles.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 204 Posts
About this Discussion
203 Replies
70 Participants
prehberg
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing