Ford Forums banner

41 - 60 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just found the same problem with my 2005 Escape 147,000 miles in Michigan.

Right passenger rear wheel well all rusted out. Shock is poking through.

will now look for the cheapest way to fix this. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings everyone!

I just wanted to throw in my two cents on the issue. I also have a 2005 Escape (bought used, about 8 months ago). I recently discovered I have the dreaded "wheel house rot" with a hole through the right wheel house.

I of course searched online, to find out what to do, and discovered how common it is. Practically every Escape of that body style is prone to this.

I took it to a number of body shops, who declined the repair. They said it would cost too much, but suggested I take it to a shop that specialized in rust repair and restoration.

I did find a shop that would repair the holes for about $1600. I felt that I would be better off replacing the entire damaged wheel house panel instead.

I found that many (almost all) parts books in circulation and online versions of the same parts listing show a part number that is obsolete. So, I was told that I can't get the part, and they don't make it. It seemed that there were none to be had, and there won't ever be any in future.

After a bit more detective work, I discovered that there is now a new part number that is available that is the correct fit, and addresses the original defect.

So, the part numbers are 7L8Z-782886-A and 7L8Z-782887-A. (For the left and right wheel house panel. I'm not sure which one is left and right.) I ordered these at the dealer, and I got them at a total cost of $284.07, plus taxes.

I took them to the body shop, and they are going to replace both for $2000 (cash).

I'm told that these new part numbers are the one to get, and are being manufactured currently. However, although I had no trouble getting mine quickly (about 5 days), I hear that they are in short supply due to high demand.

Don't be confused by the obsolete listing on the old part number. This seems to have confused many people in the auto body business. It took me a long time and a lot of detective work to get to the bottom of the issue. This part will fit from at least 2005 and also the next generation Escape too. (Not the brand new version though.) I don't know about earlier than 2005.

Good luck!

-PbFoot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi
Like many others our 2005 ford escape has a totally detached rear right shock mount as the inner wheel arch has totally disintegrated with rust. Has anyone got anywhere with ford or government safety agencies?

The part numbers that a previous poster gave are ordered from ford?

This problem Must be something to do with Michigan given the number of posts from this state which includes us.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Live in ohio and just uncovered same issue with my 2005 escape.
Going to a metal fabricator to fix. Car has 120k miles on it.
I also have a 2005 Mariner with 66k miles that I need to watch now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Live in ohio and just uncovered same issue with my 2005 escape.
Going to a metal fabricator to fix. Car has 120k miles on it.
I also have a 2005 Mariner with 66k miles that I need to watch now.
Sent a rather strongly worded letter to Ford today, not that I expect it to achieve anything.

Of the three local body shops even if the wheel well part was available, one wouldn't touch it, another wanted $2800 and the third about $800

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi , My name is Barbara.... I have the exact same problems. I received a estimate from Ford 4 $ 5,440.71 . I just received a letter they cannot help me. I have written to the C.E.O. and I am waiting for a response. I am a vary active 77 year old. I purchased this Escape at the age of 70 for $27,000.00. Thinking this cost more then my house did. Hoping it would be my last car I purchased. NOW I cannot even drive it. It is TOTALLY UNSAFE. Now What !!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi , My name is Barbara.... I have the exact same problems. I received a estimate from Ford 4 $ 5,440.71 . I just received a letter they cannot help me. I have written to the C.E.O. and I am waiting for a response. I am a vary active 77 year old. I purchased this Escape at the age of 70 for $27,000.00. Thinking this cost more then my house did. Hoping it would be my last car I purchased. NOW I cannot even drive it. It is TOTALLY UNSAFE. Now What !!!!
I'm still waiting for a reply from ford almost two weeks later

·
Registered
2 Posts
my wife mentioned the 'clunk' in our 2005 Escape(123k miles) a couple days ago. Drove it yesterday to see if I heard the same thing. After figuring out where the noise originated, I looked to see that rust has pretty much eaten away most of the metal around the right rear shock mount. Stopped by a dealer on the way home to see if it was even safe to drive. The had a mechanic who 'knew' about it come out. He said they have seen it in other Escapes of the same model year. He was very clear about saving any paperwork if we were to have it fixed. He actually said it 3 times during our conversation. I too have filed a complaint on the Safecar.gov site. Looks like quite a few others have done so in the last 60 days. It would be hard to justify spending the kind of $ I've seen people mention to fix it. Hopefully Ford does the right thing and offers 'A' plan or something. I'm going to mention it to the sales guy that we bought 2 other Fords from in the past year, to see if he knows anything. He likes to talk, so if there is any chatter, I'm sure he'll tell me. Seems like a lot of us are in SE Michigan. Might be worth calling one of the consumer reporters at a local TV station?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have my own views towards rust on vehicles. At what point is it not a manufacturers problem. These vehicles are 8-10+ years old. It's not fords fault it was subject to the road conditions that lead to this type of rust. I'm in northern indiana and fully understand rusted vehicles. Work on and own cars that have rust problems. If they were to start covering all these costs with rust it would cost double for these new vehicles. It's not a defect it's rust. Drag your wash machine on a trailer behind your car for a winter and tell me what it looks like.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with your comments in general, HOWEVER given its the only part of the vehicle with significant rust and so many other people have exactly the same problem in the same area, AND Ford recalled the Freestar vans for exactly the same problem.......mmmm

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I don't agree with that recall either. But that's a different issue all together. The rust on those causes safety issues. It loses the hold down for the rear seat latch. The shock mount isn't safety. It. Won't ride properly but not unsafe. I don't agree with that recall or the windstar recall either. Rust is Mother Nature. If you don't want a rusted vehicle take it to the desert :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
From what I have seen with my 2006 Escape Hybrid, is that the issue is the mount for the shock. The mount is weak, flexes, that flex causes the undercoating in the wheel well to crack, the crack lets in and traps the elements, the elements eat away the wheel well.
Mine is no where near as bad as what I am seeing in the pictures here, but I can flex the shock mount.
Pulling a washing machine through a rainstorm an dropping a salt block in the wash chamber are two different things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
An update on my efforts. Contacted Ford both via phone and email, and no reponse as of yet. Also filed a comlaint on safercar.gov. Our salesman said he hadn't heard of the issue, and was suprised by the severity. Sent pix to the dealership's collision center Manager and am awaiting a reponse. At this point, our Escape is nothing more than a driveway paperweight.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2006 Escape and just had the same problem in February. I called Ford and I called and filed a report with NSTB. I too feel like it's Ford's fault and they should do a recall. My car only has 75,000 miles on it and I'll never get a decent price for it now. I can see my rear fender rusting out too. I have rust in the gas cap area, rust on the bolts for the seats. I'm afraid I'll end up on the road way in my drivers seat (or be dragged to a horrible death) because all the rust on this car. I'm selling it and I will NEVER own a Ford again. NEVER. They don't stand by their product's, why should I buy theirs! Oh, get this....last spring (2013) my Electrical System died in the middle of the street for no reason. Now I have $4,000 into this car. I planned on keeping it because of the low mileage, but now I'm afraid to drive it. B'Bye Ford. You can keep your rusty cars to yourself!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh please. The car only has 75,000 Miles on it. Apparently you didn't read all the problems with others that own 2005 Escapes that have the same problem! It's a defect from when Ford built the car! there are cars/SUv's that are older than mine that don't have ANY rust on them.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Bottom line is it is not a safety issue. You will not lose control of your vehicle when a shock becomes detached. We could argue it all day. If it were something that causes lose of control ,fire, other safety hazards something may be done. I really don't think anything will happen with it. I've done plenty of recalls on other fords that pose safety hazards and that's the only reason they are recalled. Doesn't matter if it's ford,gm,toyota, or others.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have recently been told I have this same issue on a 2004 and the wait list for parts puts me at number 600 - 6 months!!! The shock mount is hitting the interior plastic body and once it breaks loose or through it will have to be parked. I just want to get the parts!!!!!! Ford should be better than this :noNO:they obviously are aware it is a problem....its a great vehicle otherwise.

41 - 60 of 204 Posts
About this Discussion
203 Replies
70 Participants
prehberg
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing