Ford Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a weird starting problem that the shop cannot resolve.

It's a 2005 Ford Escape with ~ 190k miles (actually a Mazda Tribute, but I believe they are the same except for trim level). Sometimes it starts fine. But other times it will turn over for 20 or 30 seconds before it finally starts. A couple of times, it hasn't started at all. Tried again later and it started.

Once it has started there is never any problem. It doesn't die. It doesn't idle roughly.

I've had it into the shop four times. Early on the problem was very intermittent (like maybe once every 30-40 starts or something). They kept it and periodically tried to reproduce the problem and never could. The frequency has increased over time to where it's now hit or miss... probably 25% of the time it turns over 5+ seconds before it starts.

Last time it was in the shop they thought it might be the fuel pump, which they said was marginal. Replaced that. No difference. I read on one of these forums that it might be the EGR vacuum solenoid. Replaced that and thought it improved things, but no... still doing it. The dealer checked all the obvious things, I believe (starter, battery, etc.). One time in the shop I believe they drained the fuel lines (?) which they said were a bit crufty.

As an example from today: started fine in the garage, drove to Home Depot for an errand, and when I tried to start it back up in the parking lot, it turned over and over for 15-20 seconds and then seemed to die (like a whirling sound and then it stopped). Tried to start it again and after 5-10 seconds it started.

Any suggestions on what I can test? It's very inconsistent. Sometimes starts right up. It doesn't seem temperature related.

One other fact is I had the transmission replaced at around 160k miles and I think the problem began soon after that. But I don't know if that was just coincidence or not.

Here is a video of the problem:
2005 Tribute not starting

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'd really rather not have to buy a new car right now 馃槦

Thanks

Super Moderator
When it won鈥檛 start does the theft light come on? Any codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mla

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When it won鈥檛 start does the theft light come on? Any codes?
I haven't noticed the theft light coming on. I'll make sure to focus on that next time it happens.
No codes. I have the BlueDriver scan tool and did a full system test and no codes.

Thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Change the fuel filter , check crank sensor and wiring .
Fuel filter was changed when they drained the fuel line ~ 1.5 years ago. Think I should consider changing it again, or unlikely?

Will research the crank sensor and wiring diagnosis, thanks.

Also found this (somewhat weird) video talking about fuel pump driver control module. Think that's a candidate? Sounds like it was stalling though and mine never stalls once it's started.

Super Moderator
You could also check ALL engine / battery grounds . If there was s**t the last time they cleaned the fuel lines , may have picked up more .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts