Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2005 ford territory Ghia, used of course, when I brought it the steering was great but over the past week it's getting very heavy, when turning a corner I have to forcefully turn the wheel back other wise it'll just keep turning the corner, power steering fluid is full & there is also a ticking noise coming from what sounds like the ignition area, any ideas before I take to a mechanic please?

·
Super Moderator
9,333 Posts
Define your version of "Ignition area", please. For me, it goes from the spark plug, distributor (if applicable, I'm old school), coil(s), and possibly ignition module which is a pretty big area. Odds are, the ticking is a lifter, it's 16 years old.

What does the power steering fluid look like, it should be relatively clear, with possibly a slight tint. Take a turkey baster and pull a sample from the bottom of the reservoir, that's where the debris will settle out. Like brake fluid, power steering fluid is hydroscopic, it'll absorb moisture right out of the air.
Fortunately, there's Youtube to save me from typing so much.
This one is better thought out:

·
Super Moderator
3,795 Posts
Try adjusting the steering column height adjustment under the steering column with the steering in the straight ahead position; if they are locked in the wrong position they can cause binding. Next check the state of the tie rod ball joints and steering rack mounting bushes and rack ends (check for leaks). Also remove the serpentine drive belt and spin all the driven pulleys by hand (including the power steering pump and idler and tensioners ) to check the are all spininng silently and smoothly with no signs of binding or worn bearings. Also check the rubber damper in the harmonic balancer is not split and the balancer.crankshaft pulley is not spiining out of alignment. Also check the drive belt itself is in good condition with no signs of fraying or other wear. I assume the tyres are all correctly inflated.

Does the ticking noise frequency change with road speed or engine revs? If it's an inside cabin noise check the climate control is working correctly and all outlet switching works; the end of the mixer shaft tend to break off and make a ticking noise once loose in the ducting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts