Ford Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Automotive beginner here! I have a 2005 mercury mariner 3.0L that I recently discovered had been leaking fluid from the intermediate shaft/transaxle (I've heard it both ways? Not sure proper name) On the front right passenger side.

I have taken everything off besides the weird plastic boot (any tips how to get that off as well would be appreciated)

The problem I'm having now is finding a replacement seal or kit to repair the leak. I've tried my local auto parts store and online but can't seem to find a diagram or part number or anything related to a seal on the transmission or for the axle. At this point I'm at a loss and want to fix the leak but am not sure how. I will try and include all relevant pictures and appreciate any help.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,477 Posts
You might be better off buying the whole intermediate shaft assembly. It's under $180 and you won't need to press things off and on. Without the proper tools, seals and bearings can be difficult to assemble without damaging them.

Typically, the easiest way to replace the seal in the output seal housing is to pull it and tap it out from the back., which means you'll need the gasket (if it exists) as well. If there isn't gasket, clean the mating surfaces thoroughly, and give one side a very light coat of Permatex Black. If you put too much on your just as likely to develop leaks later on due to shrinkage. I have a long story about having to work a weekend to learn that lesson.

I can't tell from the drawings which way the seal comes out, but it most likely is pressed in from the outside. Once you see how it is pressed into place, you can easily figure out how to tap it out. Clean the housing throat thoroughly where the seal will seat, When installing the new seal, do not strike the seal! I've taken PVC pipe, wood, the old seal, etc. to spread the shock of the blows with a hammer to make it easier to drive it into place evenly. If the housing shows sign of oxidation, you may want to give it a light coat of Permatx as well.The lip of the seal should go flush with the housing. Remember to compare the old an new seals to make sure you have the right part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might be better off buying the whole intermediate shaft assembly. It's under $180 and you won't need to press things off and on. Without the proper tools, seals and bearings can be difficult to assemble without damaging them.

Typically, the easiest way to replace the seal in the output seal housing is to pull it and tap it out from the back., which means you'll need the gasket (if it exists) as well. If there isn't gasket, clean the mating surfaces thoroughly, and give one side a very light coat of Permatex Black. If you put too much on your just as likely to develop leaks later on due to shrinkage. I have a long story about having to work a weekend to learn that lesson.

I can't tell from the drawings which way the seal comes out, but it most likely is pressed in from the outside. Once you see how it is pressed into place, you can easily figure out how to tap it out. Clean the housing throat thoroughly where the seal will seat, When installing the new seal, do not strike the seal! I've taken PVC pipe, wood, the old seal, etc. to spread the shock of the blows with a hammer to make it easier to drive it into place evenly. If the housing shows sign of oxidation, you may want to give it a light coat of Permatx as well.The lip of the seal should go flush with the housing. Remember to compare the old an new seals to make sure you have the right part.
Thank you for the insight, that second link for the output shaft seal says rear in the description, will that fit the front? Are they universal? Again thank you.

·
Super Moderator
9,477 Posts
Unfotunately, I can only find the one output shaft seal. Didn't notice that it was listed as a rear.
Option for you, got to a Ford dealership and purchase it off of them. May cost you a little more, but it should be the right part. Purchasing the rear seal may fit the front, but there's no guarantee.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts