Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I would appreciate any suggestions with this.

Recently our 2005 Sable has developed an intermittent problem with the courtesy dome light and power windows not working. This is usually in the morning after the car has sat over night. High heat and humidity also seem to be a factor as well. Basically, you open any door and the dome light is not functioning. If the accessory or ignition is on, I've noticed that the power windows do not work either. Starting the car makes no difference with the problem.
If you leave any door open for a while, eventually the light will come on and all is back to normal. If it's really stubborn, opening two doors at the same time will get it the light to turn on. Which combination of doors doesn't seem to matter. Once it has turned on for the day, everything is fine and it will go on every time you open any door the entire day. The light also turns off automatically after 25 seconds once the doors are closed (which is normal).

I have tested with the ignition on, and the car is properly sensing when each door is opened/closed via the specific "door ajar" messages for each door, even when the when the dome light is not working. I don't know if the same sensor used to detect the door being ajar turns on the dome light.

I've checked, and no fuses are blown and the Accessory Delay Relay is working fine.

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions of what to look at next. The unfortunate thing is that unless the problem becomes consistent, or the component causing the problem fails completely, it's hard to take it into the local dealer to get it fixed. Un the up side, the Ford dealership I talked to mentioned that this is a common problem on the 2005 Taurus and Sable.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
AJ

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: 2005 Mercury Sable-Intermittent problem with no dome light & no power windows wor

GEM module on its way out. I have heard of a leak on the drivers side that will let water get onto the GEM module and make it flaky. The GEM controls various accessory functions, such as the slow fade of the courtesy lights, the power window automatic 'full open', remote door locks, automatic door lock.
If you get the EVTM it should tell you how to test the GEM.
tom
EVTM == Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I would appreciate any suggestions with this.

Recently our 2005 Sable has developed an intermittent problem with the courtesy dome light and power windows not working. This is usually in the morning after the car has sat over night. High heat and humidity also seem to be a factor as well. Basically, you open any door and the dome light is not functioning. If the accessory or ignition is on, I've noticed that the power windows do not work either. Starting the car makes no difference with the problem.
If you leave any door open for a while, eventually the light will come on and all is back to normal. If it's really stubborn, opening two doors at the same time will get it the light to turn on. Which combination of doors doesn't seem to matter. Once it has turned on for the day, everything is fine and it will go on every time you open any door the entire day. The light also turns off automatically after 25 seconds once the doors are closed (which is normal).

I have tested with the ignition on, and the car is properly sensing when each door is opened/closed via the specific "door ajar" messages for each door, even when the when the dome light is not working. I don't know if the same sensor used to detect the door being ajar turns on the dome light.

I've checked, and no fuses are blown and the Accessory Delay Relay is working fine.

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions of what to look at next. The unfortunate thing is that unless the problem becomes consistent, or the component causing the problem fails completely, it's hard to take it into the local dealer to get it fixed. Un the up side, the Ford dealership I talked to mentioned that this is a common problem on the 2005 Taurus and Sable.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
AJ
Did You Ever Find A Fix For This? I'm Having The Same Problem

1 - 4 of 4 Posts