Ford Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, in the last snow storm, I suddenly lost the ability to use my escape at all if there is any moisture (read rain, snow, and ice). The 4WD light blinks continuously and I just start to slide. I checked the tone rings this morning and they are good. I know reading the codes would tell me more, but I want to fix this myself. The local garage will not do it unless I am leaving the car with them and walked off when I asked them for a read and how much it would cost

Where should I look next? The hole that is the internet keep telling me I have a cracked tone ring or a blown fuse. I don't have those things. I did see a small post about a possible component problem in my center console. Should I try digging into this next?

Thanks,

Jane23

· Administrator
5,117 Posts
Does the ABS light flash also.

Its possible a wheel sensor could be faulty or damaged. Some 4wd systems use the abs wheel sensor to tell when a wheel is slipping so to engage the 4wd.

I'm not positive your car has that setup but it could be worth a look.

If you can check codes then it may show if the wheel sensor is a problem.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the ABS light flash also.

Its possible a wheel sensor could be faulty or damaged. Some 4wd systems use the abs wheel sensor to tell when a wheel is slipping so to engage the 4wd.

I'm not positive your car has that setup but it could be worth a look.

If you can check codes then it may show if the wheel sensor is a problem.
The ABS light is not flashing. From what I have been reading, it might be the transfer case. When I have time, I plan to drain the transfer case, if the 4WD is shot, then shards will come out in the fluid. If not, then well, the escape is about 100k over the recommended flush. (I am the third owner).

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need time to do it. It might take a minute. I definitely want to let people know as I have seen the same question asked across other forums. I am fairly certain this is what is going on, it will just take time to figure out. Below is the thread I found that got me thinking of it. I hope it helps others as my problem is similar to his.

The main problem is taking time to check and fix it if it is the transfer case. I work two jobs and the garage is not finished and it just started snowing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts