Ford Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I have a 2007 Expedition XLT which I'm facing trouble with while using 4x4. Yesterday I took it for a trip to the desert, so I was using 4A (automatic) 4H and 4L depending on the terrain, its a switch not a gear.

Anyway after I was done with that and got back on the road, I tried turning on back the traction control and setting it back to 2H but it was stuck on 4Low, kept on trying but with no use, so I was driving on 4L with traction off and high rpm at low speed, after a few miles I stopped to give it a shot again, put the gear on N, pushed the handbrake then it went back to 2H after switching it and the traction control was back on.

My question is: Does anyone know what is the cause of this? I do quite some off road from time to time, I don't want to be stuck with 4x4 or 2wheel the whole time.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Most often this is a bad shift motor. Fords are known for this. The shift motor is mounted on the transfer case. It's a pretty easy replacement--usually only 4 bolts. The only bug is that the motor is internally grounded inside the transfer case. So when you install the new motor, you'll have to either move the existing ground wire to the new electrical connector or solder it into the new ground. You can get aftermarket motors for about $125. Relatively easy fix. Something you can do yourself with a shop manual and ordinary metric sockets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply RickMN

So all I have to do is replace the shift motor with a new one? I'm really surprised, the car is under 1k miles which is considered new.

In regard of the traction control, any idea why I couldn't turn it back on while on 4L? Is it related to the shift motor problem by any chance?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts