Ford Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
While I have often used this forum to find out info on my ford products, this is my first post.
I have a F-150, 5.4, 4x4, crew cab short bed pick up. It has 130,000 miles on it and I would like to keep it running as well as possible for as long as possible, 2-300,000 miles preferably.
Up until now, truck has ran like a top, I was fortunate to be 2nd owner, and the 1st owners took meticulous care of it. What it has started doing is, for lack of proper term, "shuttering" when it reaches speeds around 45 - 50 mph. Most of my daily driving consist of driving on roads that stays around 45 mph, to work and back. SO, I am at these speeds a lot. once I achieve cruising speed of 45mph, and I want to speed up, it shutters. I noticed if I take it out of overdrive, it doesn't do as often, but it still does it. I took it to mechanic and he asked if I was getting any fault code, and I haven't. So to start, I got a full tune up, because it felt like that kind of problem. It continued with problem. As I was driving one day, the service light came on so I pulled into parts house to set if they could get the code out of it. It said the #2 injector had a problem, but the service light only stayed on for maybe 5 miles and turned off. I took the print out to mechanic so he could see it since light went off. I had all of the injectors replaced because I figured, 130,000miles, it was probably due. Still had the problem. I google again and seen a link that said ford f-150s had a problem with transmissions when, and if dirty, that they had same kind of symptoms I was having. So I had the transmission serviced and even put in a product called "Shutter stop"?, it's in a small red tube and it had good reviews and it sounded like it would help along with the service to transmission. STILL, same problem. I thought , I can't remember when gas filter was changed out, so I figured that was too long. It felt like that also. When you would give it gas, it seemed to starve, so I thought that where the Shutter comes in. It's starving for fuel. That hasn't helped either. All the things I had done, I figured it would need it anyhow at 130,000, but It still has problem.
I know this seems, and it long, but I wanted to let folks know what the problem is, and what I have done already to fix it. CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT, PLEASE?? I do like this forum, aqnd it has helped before just from other people's issues. Now I have one I can't fix and would love some help from someone that knows better, and more than me. And my mechanic. I find that some mechanic these days rely heavily on diagnostic codes and machines.
Thanks to everyone and those that may be able to help.
Melton.

·
Administrator
5,213 Posts
Maybe its a balance issue. Perhaps a bad tyre or wheel balance. Does it go away if you travel above those speeds?.

·
Super Moderator
1,448 Posts
Do you know what type of fluid was used? Ford switched spec around that time frame and the wrong fluid could cause torque converter shutter.

Did you have your coils replaced when you got a tune up? They usually last a long time but you’re bound to get a bad one here or there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe its a balance issue. Perhaps a bad tyre or wheel balance. Does it go away if you travel above those speeds?.
Tires are great. good balanced Pirelli tires on it. It acts like the fuel filter was clogged and starving for fuel. if you give it the pedal, it will bog down as if it was getting enough fuel. once you achieve speed, and want to go faster, that's when it shutters.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tires are great. good balanced Pirelli tires on it. It acts like the fuel filter was clogged and starving for fuel. if you give it the pedal, it will bog down as if it wasn't getting enough fuel. once you achieve speed, and want to go faster, that's when it shutters.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you know what type of fluid was used? Ford switched spec around that time frame and the wrong fluid could cause torque converter shutter.

Did you have your coils replaced when you got a tune up? They usually last a long time but you’re bound to get a bad one here or there.

When I spoke to mechanic, he mentioned the same thing regarding fluid. so I double checked at parts house and got the recommended fluid. I did get all 8 injectors replaced.

·
Super Moderator
1,448 Posts
When I spoke to mechanic, he mentioned the same thing regarding fluid. so I double checked at parts house and got the recommended fluid. I did get all 8 injectors replaced.
Which fluid was it? Getting the injectors cleaned was a good idea but I’m thinking it’s possible you have a weak coil. There’s a way to check them with a multimeter but I’ve had ones that were good test bad so I don’t recommend testing them. Now if one or more got wet that could point towards a coil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which fluid was it? Getting the injectors cleaned was a good idea but I’m thinking it’s possible you have a weak coil. There’s a way to check them with a multimeter but I’ve had ones that were good test bad so I don’t recommend testing them. Now if one or more got wet that could point towards a coil.

The fluid was
Castrol / Transmax Mercon V Automatic Transmission Fluid . And, I had new injectors installed. I need to check and see if coils were installed.

·
Super Moderator
1,448 Posts
Ok good. Pull the coils and check for moisture.

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
Check this if suspected transmission related before getting too deeply involved , possibly needlessly

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
This happened with my f150 all it was was the coils, I recommend you replace those I used some Amazon ones very cheap and it fixed it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts