Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

I have started having a rattling noise coming from my gearbox that seems to happen only after driving up steep hills at slow speeds and after coming to a stop. When I turn the engine off and restart it the rattling is gone. Everything seems to work fine on level roads and driving on highways. I am wondering what this might be and is it an easy fix or indication of a bigger transmission repair. I also hear a metal clacking noise that is intermittent and might be associated with this problem. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am pretty sure it is coming from the gearbox and sounds like gears not meshing. Mostly I am wondering why driving up a hill would cause the gears to do this?

·
Super Moderator
8,596 Posts
Sorry, was inquiring about color and clarity. Might be worth dropping the transmission oil pan to see if there's any debris. I'd definitely check for anything loose on the exhaust, first. Broken hangers can make some strange noises as well as cracks in the components.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I posted this on another ford forum and got some advise there that leads me to believe it is the 4wd system because it does seem to stop when i engage the 4H. Here is a link to the other forum post:

·
Super Moderator
8,596 Posts
If you mentioned it, I missed the fact that it's 4WD. The bushings could have worn out on the forks, a common problem with the Borg Warner transfer case.. If you decide to open it, I'd recommend replacing the chain as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts