Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '07 Freestyle that is throwing code P0453 - "Evaporative Control System Pressure Sensor High Input"

A long time ago, the fuel level indicator on the dash intermittently stopped working and showed an empty tank even when full. This was maybe 2 years ago. It cleared up on its own after a couple of weeks and hasn't recurred since.

More recently, the CEL has come on, and message "check fuel cap" shown on dash. Replaced fuel cap, cleared codes and the message went away, but the CEL came right back. The check fuel cap message came back after a couple of days of driving, too.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
20,061 Posts
Was it the revised cap as per TSB ?

TSB
06-23-10 FUEL FILLER CAP BINDING, FUEL CAP LIGHT / WARNING MESSAGE AND/OR DTC P0457

Publication Date: November 8, 2006

FORD: 2005-2007 Five Hundred, Freestyle
MERCURY: 2005-2007 Montego

This article supersedes TSB 05-21-13 to update the vehicle model years and Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2005-2007 Freestyle, Five Hundred, and Montego vehicles may exhibit a fuel filler cap that binds when reinstalling after fueling. Improperly installed fuel cap may cause Fuel Cap Lamp illumination in the instrument cluster, a Check Fuel Cap warning message in message center (if equipped) and/or diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0457. P0455 may also be present.

ACTION:
Refer to the following Service Procedure to replace the fuel filler cap, and relocate the cap tether mounting position.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

2005 vehicles, perform Service Procedure A below
2006 vehicles, perform Service Procedure B below
2007 vehicles, perform Service Procedure C below
Service Procedure A

NOTE: LEAVE THE FUEL FILLER CAP IN PLACE WHEN PERFORMING STEPS 1, 2, AND 3.

On the filler door housing mark the center point for a hole located approximately at the 10 o'clock position relative to the filler pipe as defined in Figure 1. The 9/16" (14 mm) dimension is downward from the base of the embossment and the 3/4" (19 mm) dimension is inboard from the edge of the opening in the vehicle body.

Figure 1 - Article 06-23-10

Drill hole with a 5/16" (8 mm) diameter drill bit. Tape the bit 1/2" (13 mm) from the end to be used as a drill depth guide.
NOTE: WHEN DRILLING, USE LIGHT PRESSURE TO PREVENT FORMATION OF EXCESSIVE BURRS.

Remove chips from the filler housing.
Remove the fuel cap from the filler pipe and the tether end from the attachment screw on the filler pipe flange.
Reinstall the screw to the filler pipe flange.
NOTE: REPLACE ONLY NON-LOCKING WITH NON-LOCKING CAPS AND LOCKING WITH LOCKING CAPS.

Install the revised fuel cap into the filler pipe.
Attach tether in counterclockwise direction from attachment point on vehicle by inserting the push pin into the drilled hole. This is the opposite direction from cap being removed. (Figure 1)
Service Procedure B

Install revised fuel cap (hole already in correct position - 3 o'clock) following Steps 6 and 7 of Service Procedure A.

Service Procedure C

Install revised fuel cap by attaching to existing hole in fuel door hinge, not the original fuel filler pipe location.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
6L3Z-9030-B Fuel Cap Non-Locking (MY 2005)
6L3Z-9030-A Fuel Cap Locking (MY 2005)
7U5Z-9030-C Fuel Cap Non-Locking (MY 2006-2007)
7U5Z-9030-B Fuel Cap Locking (MY 2006-2007)

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
062310A 2005 Five Hundred, Freestyle, Montego: Replace The Fuel Filler Cap Includes Time To Relocate Tether (Do Not Use With 9030A) 0.3 Hr.
062310B 2006-2007 Five Hundred, Freestyle, Montego: Replace The Fuel Filler Cap 0.2 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
9030 69

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a motorcraft FC1079. Since then, the "check fuel cap" message has not reappeard, but the P0453 remains. I've checked FTP PID in PCM and it consistently shows 5v, whether the FTP sensor is connected or not. No voltage reading at FTP sensor harness with KOEO. The thing that gets me is that the P0453 message indicates higher than normal fuel tank pressure, and my understanding is that the "check fuel cap" message indicates low pressure/EVAP leak. Regardless, there's no large leak code being thrown anymore. I am a bit confused. Could this be a short in the VREF to the FTP sensor?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts