Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have owned an older crown victoria in the past, but I bought Big Blue (my 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis) last year with about 100000 miles on the dash. It ran and drove great with no issues until recently. While sitting in idle (no a/c running) my car overheated and popped the temp light on. I was able to drive it home and let it cool off. When I started it again I noticed the radiator fan is not turning on when idling. I tried turning the a/c on and it turned the fan on. But I need to know why it is not turning on when in idle. Also since noticing the fan was not turning on, I have replaced the fan control relay module located on the fan itself and I have replaced the cylinder head temperature sensor. Neither have fixed the issue. Also I have checked relay #102 in the relay box by the battery and it looks like new. All wiring appears to be good as well. I am beginning to think it might be the fan motor itself even though it is working with the a/c on, but does anyone have any clue what this might be before I replace another part that may or may not fix the issue? Thanks for any help you can provide

·
Super Moderator
20,912 Posts
Check this TSB , ( welcome to the forum )

Originally Posted By TSB
TSB 07-9-5

05/14/07

ENGINE OVERHEATING - POOR AC PERFORMANCE
FORD: 2006-2007 Crown Victoria
LINCOLN: 2006-2007 Town Car
MERCURY: 2006-2007 Grand Marquis

This article supersedes TSB 06-20-3 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE
Some 2006-2007 Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car vehicles built before 8/31/2006 may experience intermittent engine overheating and/or poor A/C performance due to an inoperative engine cooling fan motor. ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
WARNING IF EQUIPPED WITH A FIRE SUPPRESSION SYSTEM, THE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY MUST BE DEPLETED BEFORE LIFTING THE VEHICLE.

SEE WORKSHOP MANUAL (WSM), SECTION 419-03 FOR DETAILS.

Verify proper cooling fan operation, and if required, replace the cooling fan with a revised motor and fan assembly. Refer to the appropriate WSM, Section 303-03 for Cooling Fan Motor and Shroud Replacement. If the fan is inoperative, replacing the thermostat will not resolve this issue.

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
The fan doesn't come on until the engine gets to a certain temperature. Also check the post by R.S.Logan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't mean to sound rude, but neither of your replies actually answered my question. If possible, could you re-read my first post and let me know what you think?

·
Super Moderator
20,912 Posts
I believe both replies are very relevant to the problem and the information you have submitted .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are the same subject but it doesnt answer my question. I guess I will try to find another forum to help. Thanks

·
Registered
2000 grand marquis ls with handling package, magnaflow mufflers,dual exhaust, 3.55 rear axle
57 Posts
They are the same subject but it doesnt answer my question. I guess I will try to find another forum to help. Thanks
Has the car overheated again? If not, it could be fixed already. The fan is not supposed to run at an idle unless the temperature of the engine reaches higher than normal. The fan should be on any time the air conditioning is running no matter what the engine temperature is.That is why turning on the air makes the fan come on. It sounds like you are on the right track. Some things are just hard to figure out. Meantime, if it is still overheating, I would make sure the air is on anytime the car is running while sitting still. That should keep the fan on and prevent overheating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts