Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a DIY coolant replacement method after did mine yesterday.

Need:

SAFETY GLASSES
Somewhat level working area.
Rags/towels
3 gallon drain pan
New worm gear hose clamp for about a 1 3/4 inch OD hose
9 mm hex allen socket bit
universal joint for above socket
12 inch long extension for above socket
rachet for above extension
8 mm socket
pipe thread sealant (I like teflon paste)
3+ gallons of 50/50 coolant (there are other threads on brand/type to use)
Slip joint pliers for factory hose clamp
Flat blade screwdriver
socket and rachet for new worm gear clamp
Floor jack
Two jack stands

1. Jack up passenger side of front end until tire is just off the ground (place jack stand)
2. Remove air dam below radiator (3 screws, 8mm head. There is a pushfastener near the middle screw...just pry, with the screwdriver, between the air dam and the bottom of the radiator support at this push fastener.)
3. Unscrew coolant tank cap.
4. Place drain pan under bottom hose connection to radiator (passenger side)
5. Using slip joint pliers, slide the factory clamp back onto hose and prepare to be splashed. Do not lick splashes off your lips.
6. Wiggle/pull hose off radiator, allowing coolant to drain into pan.
7. Slide factory clamp off of hose.
8. Slide new worm gear clamp onto hose (think about where the head of the worm gear scew will end up so that you can access it for tightening.)
9. Jack up drivers side of car so that right side is a little higher than passenger side. More coolant will drain from radiator and hose.
10. Push lower radiator hose UP to drain out the coolant remaining in the hose.
11. Lower drivers side of car.
12. Wipe off the inside of the hose and the outside of the radiator tube. Reassemble the hose to the connection and tighten the new worm gear clamp (not excessively so. Rubber should NOT be poking up through slots int he clamp band!)
13. Slide the drain pan under the drivers side of the engine.
14. The engine block drain is a 3/8 pipe plug just under a freeze plug on the block.
15. Using the 9mm hex socket, universal joint, extension and rachet, break the pipe plug loose.
16. Place the drain pan so that the edge of the drain pan is under the oil drain plug with the rest of the pan towards the drivers side of the car.
17. Remove the coolant drain plug and be prepared for a gusher to shoot out !
18. Apply pipe thread sealant to pipe plug and reinstall plug.
19. Pour new coolant into coolant tank till full
20. Start engine and let warm up. Coolant level should drop. refill as necessary but only to hot level line.
21. Once coolant level standbilizes, install coolant level cap.
22. Continue to let engine run to develop coolant system pressure.
23. Shut off engine and check for leaks and check hose connection on bottom of radiator for leaks. Cinch up hose clamp if necessary.
24. Reinstall air dam on bottom radiator support.
[This is a great time to change the oil too!)
25. Remove passenger side jack stand.

·
2005 Crown Vic P71
1 Posts
Hi. I'm new to FordForums and just purchased a 2005 Crown Vic Police Interceptor with the P71 package. I want to flush my cooling system but am having a hard time finding good instructions. Will the procedure you used on your Marquis also work on my car?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,055 Posts
With a 10 year old car, this is also a good time to replace all coolant hoses, including the heater and oil cooler hoses (if equipped). I also like to flush the block and radiator out with fresh water prior to buttoning things up. Additionally, use distilled water if you mix your own coolant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ive always drained the old coolant and then ran straight distilled water and run it till normal operating temperature and drain it. I do that 2 to 5 times till it comes out clear and then and new coolant. That and change out coolant cap on reservoir

·
Registered
11 Posts
When you take your car in to a dealer or local shop, how many of them do you think use distilled water? Keep in mind that they know that you won't know the difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I always flush mine with water until clear. There is no way to get all of the water out. I don't know how you could use pre-mix and end up with 50/50 when you're done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't get the joke. If he has a bunch of water left in the block and mixes it with 50-50 then he won't have anywhere near the desired 50-50 concentration. But I don't remember (if I ever did know) how much water is left after the radiator is drained and the system is flushed until clear.

edit; I just checked the Ford C/D and it states that "less than 80%" of the coolant can be removed with the engine installed. That means that 20+% will mix with the 50-50 and he will not have sufficient protection and lubrication.

By the way, the Ford Service C/D from 2001 does not specify distilled water, only "clean, drinkable"" water. I've never personally used distilled water in the 50 years I've been servicing my own vehicles and I never saw any problem what-so-ever.

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
There are coolant testers to use as a guide to get close to 50/50. And depending on your location that ratio can move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,948 Posts
In the dark ages when I first entered the motor trade we had a workshop wall chart from antifreeze manufacturers that listed all the cars , cooling capacities , how much was needed to be added to give 25% /33%/ 50% . Simple case of flushing , filling with required amount and topping up .I also remember most cars then had a block drain tap ( later years replaced with a plug ) which was handy . Our water is so pure we never have to use distilled water but 200miles south in England the water is so hard it's advisable due to calcium deposits--lime scale and furring. Nowadays quality antifreeze has a 10 yr lifespan . Changed days as it was a good earner for us when winter approached . As suggested , if in doubt and concerned , get a antifreeze tester . Simple to use , cheap and handy to check any cooling systems that may need topping up .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
R.S.LOGAN
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing