Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I had an issue with the Climate control on this truck. The dealer charged over $1,500 with discounts to replace both blend door actuators. I got the truck back and there was chattering in the dash and what was working for awhile, all of a sudden the passenger air went completely cold (feels like AC), no matter what the temperature setting is set to. Lots of air out of the ducts and it regulates with the fan speed, but always very cold. The driver side is fine.

That work is still within warranty and less than a year old. The same dealer looked at it and now says, it's an issue with the Evaporator Case and wants another $2,500 to fix it. They say it's not getting enough air to the actuator for it to work properly and the actuator is working fine with the appropriate voltages and resistance values.

Is this possible, or are they trying to get out of covering it under the 2-year service warranty? There's plenty of air flow through the passenger side, there's just not any heat to it.

Of course now they want $150-$200 for just the diagnostics, which they always indicate if you tetter on paying their price for the service and start looking elsewhere for service estimates. I just want to be sure that I'm not getting ripped off here and paying for something that should be covered under the service warranty? It sure sounds to me like the same issue with the passenger side blend door actuator that I just had replaced.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
Sounds to me like the passenger side blend door actuator is bad. If they replaced it before and there's a 2-year service warranty on those parts then it should be covered.

I'll let someone else chime in but don't see how this could be a evaporator case issue.

·
Super Moderator
20,081 Posts
Just to add to above , from what you say about the chatter after initial repair would seem to suggest this .The " the appropriate voltages and resistance values. " might mean nothing if the flap itself is jammed / broken / restricted / inoperative for whatever reason .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a chance to speak with the manager of the service area. The thought is that something has either warped the evaporator case or something, i.e., a piece of foam or other obstruction has bound up the blend door. He's says they'll work with me to get the RE-repair cost down, but still waiting to hear what that will be. Suspect it is at least 7-hours of shop labor to remove and replace the dash AGAIN. I hate when they don't resolve a problem the first time around when there's so much labor involved. I'm just at their mercy, if they claim it's not a problem with a replaced part (in this case the blend door actuators) I'm stuck paying big $$$ to have it repaired again. :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why should you have to pay anything to fix it again?

It sounds like you paid the dealer once to fix your A/C - you didn't tell them what or how to fix it - you paid to fix it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
Got a chance to speak with the manager of the service area. The thought is that something has either warped the evaporator case or something, i.e., a piece of foam or other obstruction has bound up the blend door. He's says they'll work with me to get the RE-repair cost down, but still waiting to hear what that will be. Suspect it is at least 7-hours of shop labor to remove and replace the dash AGAIN. I hate when they don't resolve a problem the first time around when there's so much labor involved. I'm just at their mercy, if they claim it's not a problem with a replaced part (in this case the blend door actuators) I'm stuck paying big $$$ to have it repaired again. :(
I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Out if curiosity, did the service writer make the last diagnosis or did the mechanics actually look at it? 'Most' service writers will try to up-sell you on anything as that's what they're trained to do.

·
Super Moderator
20,081 Posts
Hope you have a honest Service Manager who will hold his hands up and admit their liability for faulty workmanship if that is found to be the case once examined and then waives ANY costs to you . Or does it under warranty . All too often this does not happen in some dealerships nowadays unfortunately .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Out if curiosity, did the service writer make the last diagnosis or did the mechanics actually look at it? 'Most' service writers will try to up-sell you on anything as that's what they're trained to do.
I have since talked with the manager of the service department and have had a couple of really frank discussions with my Service Manager. He said he sat in the truck with the tech when everything was taken apart and diagnosed. They are going to replace the whole evaporator box, which they say needs to done. The Service Manager says that he is a special manager that was specifically brought in for a reason. He hasn't said what that is, but claims that if there is anyway that he can validate fault in the actuators with the warranty covering costs he will do that. He says that if the tech finishes their work early in the morning he'll be with it for the entire day to put everything though it's paces and and that it is in 100% working condition. He has said this multiple times, so guess we'll see what happens. He has gotten the repair estimate down to under half the original quote, with labor being at their cost (what they actually pay the tech for their work). Once done this will be a completely new system.

Again, we'll see if he comes up with any faults in the actuators. Apparently, it's a pretty big deal when they do warranty work as the parts are inventoried and audited.

It sounds like the dealership is actually paid by Ford if warranty work has to be done, so they get paid either way. I didn't realize this as I thought you were at the mercy of the dealership and if you're not a happy customer, they've basically lost your business.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hope you have a honest Service Manager who will hold his hands up and admit their liability for faulty workmanship if that is found to be the case once examined and then waives ANY costs to you . Or does it under warranty . All too often this does not happen in some dealerships nowadays unfortunately .
Me too! I have really made my case, both to the Service Manager and his boss and am already seeing results. He says if there is any way to find fault in the replaced actuators that he'll do whatever he can. I guess we'll see what happens in the end.

·
Super Moderator
20,081 Posts
"Apparently, it's a pretty big deal when they do warranty work as the parts are inventoried and audited. "

Not really . Having ran different makes of dealerships it was straight forward with warranty work in all ' You did get a lower rate of labour , had a set book time usually for that job and lost the profit in the parts as they were at cost . You could get extra labour time if it could be justified because of unseen problems .Unless the warranty claim was rejected , and the time waiting to be paid / credited by each manufacturer , no problem . Years back we returned faulty parts to the factory for verification and examination and waited for confirmation of claim , but I believe with todays technology things have improved vastly .Unless things may changed that I dont know about . The dealership wont be out of pocket unless faulty workmanship and then the cost is down to them ( or should be ). I found out running your own garage you could make those decisions instantly and better to take the hit , own up and repair F.O.C . It often guaranteed a happy customer and return business in the future .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Apparently, it's a pretty big deal when they do warranty work as the parts are inventoried and audited. "

Not really . Having ran different makes of dealerships it was straight forward with warranty work in all ' You did get a lower rate of labour , had a set book time usually for that job and lost the profit in the parts as they were at cost . You could get extra labour time if it could be justified because of unseen problems .Unless the warranty claim was rejected , and the time waiting to be paid / credited by each manufacturer , no problem . Years back we returned faulty parts to the factory for verification and examination and waited for confirmation of claim , but I believe with todays technology things have improved vastly .Unless things may changed that I dont know about . The dealership wont be out of pocket unless faulty workmanship and then the cost is down to them ( or should be ). I found out running your own garage you could make those decisions instantly and better to take the hit , own up and repair F.O.C . It often guaranteed a happy customer and return business in the future .
That's what it is all about... A happy and return customer! That's why I went directly to the Manager to express my concerns and for them to know, that if I'm not satisfied I won't ever be back and when it comes time to replace my current Super Duty Diesel and to have service work done with it, that their dealership will not even be a consideration. By doing so, I have at least had them come off of a $2,500 repair estimate down to an estimate that is at least labor and parts at cost. I can tell now that if the Service Manager can find a way to charge this to warranty he most likely will take the extra time to do so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts