Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I have 2008 Ford Focus with 130k miles. the car shifts good but sometimes when shifting from 1 to 2 gear the transmission makes the car shake a bit like a hit and then the transmission light comes on with code P0731, I can still drive the car no problem while the code is on but shifting in general is rough while the light is on. I can turn the car off and on and the everything starts from the beginning again normal until the code appears again. The code also happens when using the low 1 manual gear at around 2200 rpms without shifting to second gear. I tried with overdrive off and still happens. What do you guys think the problem could be? shift solenoids? or the clutches? the fluid is red and it does not smell like it is burned.

·
Super Moderator
8,947 Posts
Well, the code P0731 is Gear 1 Incorrect Ratio. This can be caused by low transmission fluid level, dirty transmission fluid shift solenoids, transmission mechanical problems, transmission hydraulic control circuit. If our level is good, my suggestion is change the filter and fluid, see if your situation improves, otherwise it gets expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your answer. I just changed the fluid and the filter a couple days ago, sorry I did not mention that perviously. The old fluid was okay as well and on the magnet there was I guess the typical dust but not pieces of metal or anything similar. The situation definitely improved but still ave the code but less frequent. Do you think the next step will be the solenoids ?

·
Super Moderator
8,947 Posts
Well... a reman runs between 16 and 23 hundred dollars. While that's nothing to sneeze at, it can be obtained rapidly while doing repairs. You said you changed fluid and filter and had improvement. I think you have to pull the transmission to get to the solenoids. unless you plan on doing it yourself, you might want to get some estimates and do another change while saving up some coin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found reman solenoids for 48 dollars for all 6 of them, I think is a fairly price. For this car the solenoids under de tran inside the oil pan. Just by dropping it I can change them without taking the transmission out, in my opinion is fairly easy to do however I am concern about those easy cheaper meanwhile you mention before doing that , want are those what do you recommend.

Thank for the answers by the way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
TransGo sells a kit that will likely solve your problem,

These kits usually require no more than mid-level skills, I’ve put a couple in different transmissions and the biggest concern was keeping dirt out of everything.

If you go this route, let us know how it turns out. It may help others in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts