Ford Forums banner

2008 Mariner Hybrid issue

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 · (Edited)
Four times in the past 18 months I have encountered the "stop safely now" warning when I go out to the garage to start the Mariner. When that warning shows up I have to have it towed to the dealer. So far they have received approximately $1500 to fix it to no avail. It will run fine for a while then after it sits in the garage for a few days I get the "stop safely now" when I turn on the ignition. Everything else seems to work fine. It's never stopped on the road or even in a parking lot at a store. This only occurs after sitting for a few days in my garage. I have put a trickle charger on the new battery but it still does it. I have wire brushed the battery terminals. I have tried to jump start it. The last time I was told that they had a hard fault indication that the fan mounted on the bottom of the 320v battery was bad. They pulled the battery, replaced the fan ($1200) and it did it again. A previous time I was told they changed a corroded relay panel. Any help here?

#3 ·
Hi Bert, thanks a lot for your prompt reply. They have never told me what codes they have been getting other than the hard fault for the hybrid battery fan "failure". I reviewed the pdf file you added. Unfortunately it does not seem to describe my problem. The TSB 09-19-12 describes an intermittent problem that will clear on the next key cycle. The problem I have been experiencing has never cleared on its own and has never been intermittent. I have no clue what the dealer has been doing to clear the issue. I sure do wish I could clear it myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.