Ford Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 2009 Escape is undergoing the (seemingly common?) issue of the rear windshield hinges rotting away, and it's getting bad (glass loosening, sinking on one side, and rattling when I drive) so I need to act quick. I had the brakes done yesterday and had my regular shop look at it, they said the parts are delayed 2 weeks and a total repair would be ~$350. The parts are only ~$90, so I'm also somewhat interested in doing it myself, but I'm not very handy, I usually only do simple battery replacements and that level of car work.

However, I don't really use the glass-only opening function, maybe a few times a year, so I'd be just as happy attaching the glass permanently, especially since I'm on a students budget. Could I just get a heavy/duty waterproof caulk and attach it in place? Has anyone done this? If so, should I do it on the outside, inside the weatherproofing, etc? Any insight appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2010 Ford Escape. I found the hinges on eBay for a lot less. It's not very difficult to replace them yourself. You'll need to remove the panel on the inside of the tailgate -- it looks difficult, but in fact it's easy once you know how. Go to YouTube and look for a video (there are multiple ones out there) where they'll show you how to do the whole process. You will need some soft of support to hold the entire tailgate up while working. A piece of lumber the right length is good or anything of the right length (be creative!) Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts