Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have an f150 5.4 2009. I has had a rough idle for years. Let's start with what I've did to try to fix it.

• new VTC solenoids
  • new timing set and sprockets
  • new cam shaft sensors
  • new oil presser sensor
  • new water pump and fan clutch
  • new alternator and battery
  • new tensioner and serpentine belt
  • all new spark plugs .041 gap and ignition coils.
  • new throttle body
  • new head gaskets
  • new egr/ EVAP canister and solenoid
  • new pcv hoses and valve covers
  • all new lifters
  • all new fuel injectors
  • new vacuum hose for the hose that pops off behind the intake manifold
  • had goes update the software on the pcm to newest one.

Test I have done:
-Smoke test to look for a vacuum leaks
  • many different electrical test to look for electrical issues.
  • cleared the pcm and tcm and relearned all values by ford's manual

Symptoms the vehicle is currently having:
- Ticking left side sounds like bank 3 (roller follower) may be bad that was just replaced

• rough and low idle 500-600 RPMs
  • sometimes the truck jumps up in RPMs randomly
  • sounds like a light squeek just started in one of the pulies.
  • no white smoke or blue smoke comes from the tail pipe. Have low fuel economy like 14-15 mpg

At this point I have not clue what it can be. Willing to see what y'all have to say.

·
Super Moderator
9,333 Posts
Fuel mileage, is that combined or highway. Combined, you're right in the neighborhood. Highway, not so much.
What are you getting for fuel pressure at idle and can the fuel pressure be adjusted? Does it feel sluggish at normal highway speeds?
5-600 RPM isn't that low. Try cleaning the IAC and MAF sensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel mileage, is that combined or highway. Combined, you're right in the neighborhood. Highway, not so much.
What are you getting for fuel pressure at idle and can the fuel pressure be adjusted? Does it feel sluggish at normal highway speeds?
5-600 RPM isn't that low. Try cleaning the IAC and MAF sensor.
Not sludgish at all forgot the MAF sensor is new. Air filter is new. I do normal oil changes at 3k. Well I know first said it has an engine imbalance. Not sure where to go from there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sludgish at all forgot the MAF sensor is new. Air filter is new. I do normal oil changes at 3k. Well I know first said it has an engine imbalance. Not sure where to go from there.
It's an electronic throttle body not sure you can adjust the fuel pressure.

·
Super Moderator
9,333 Posts
Sorry... used to working on the old 5.0's and 5.8's. Modulars use an electronic fuel sensor that should send a code. Also, if it was fuel flow problem at idle, it'd likely be a little sluggish at speed. Did you reuse the old IAC or did one come with the throttle body? Have you tried a live scan with a scanner? The problem may be in the wiring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's new too. Scanner just shows an engine imbalance like if the timing was off. But timing was done twice to be sure. So, there is a negative pressure in the crank case. Sucks in the the oil cap is pulled. This truck has perment metal pcv valves. And new pcv hoses. The pcv is clear and not clogged

·
Super Moderator
1,335 Posts
What brand vct solenoids did you use? Did you replace the cam phasers? Have you tried a compression test?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure the brand of VTC solenoid it wasn't the cheap ones. The phasers are new. The only thing I haven't done is a compression test. I need that special fitting for 5.4

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did do a smoke test on each cylinder. To make sure the valves weren't leaking. It passed that

·
Super Moderator
1,335 Posts
It’s best to do a compression test as it may not be the valve(s) not closing. And it pressurizes the air so even the smallest leak would show up that wouldn’t on a smoke test.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It’s best to do a compression test as it may not be the valve(s) not closing. And it pressurizes the air so even the smallest leak would show up that wouldn’t on a smoke test.

Ok. I'll order the part special fitting for the 5.4 3v compression test. I'll be back if it passes the test.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if and i say if the heads are warped but still hold a seal to the lower block the knock sensor can get a read at low rpms thats false and the on bord computer or ECM can clock it out wrong. thats a one and a lifetime fix ive seen. The driver side head was way out and the cam was a little wonky. The other more common thing ive seen is the spark plug fix kit was instaled at an out of spec depth making some odd work of the combustion chamber. But the way to detecting this is a full dyno read out form a tech that really knows fords. Its about 100 to 400 bucks but it will tell you everything about your engine and is downloaded to a thumb drive for you to keep. what I would suggest over all that is an engine swap to a crate keep the old core and rebuild it or have it rebuilt. its about 1200 plus 200 or so core charge. If you keep the core bothe engines cost you about 700 bucks a peice and you already know the status of the old one and the new one has a warrenty. the motor pool for the U.S ARMY always dose this swap insted of reparing a core. General mechanic, welder/fitter, millwrite of 20 years. have a great day all, and best of luck bud.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, I have an f150 5.4 2009. I has had a rough idle for years. Let's start with what I've did to try to fix it.

• new VTC solenoids
  • new timing set and sprockets
  • new cam shaft sensors
  • new oil presser sensor
  • new water pump and fan clutch
  • new alternator and battery
  • new tensioner and serpentine belt
  • all new spark plugs .041 gap and ignition coils.
  • new throttle body
  • new head gaskets
  • new egr/ EVAP canister and solenoid
  • new pcv hoses and valve covers
  • all new lifters
  • all new fuel injectors
  • new vacuum hose for the hose that pops off behind the intake manifold
  • had goes update the software on the pcm to newest one.

Test I have done:
-Smoke test to look for a vacuum leaks
  • many different electrical test to look for electrical issues.
  • cleared the pcm and tcm and relearned all values by ford's manual

Symptoms the vehicle is currently having:
- Ticking left side sounds like bank 3 (roller follower) may be bad that was just replaced

• rough and low idle 500-600 RPMs
  • sometimes the truck jumps up in RPMs randomly
  • sounds like a light squeek just started in one of the pulies.
  • no white smoke or blue smoke comes from the tail pipe. Have low fuel economy like 14-15 mpg

At this point I have not clue what it can be. Willing to see what y'all have to say.
The only thing I can think of is the harmonic balancer. How does it look?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only thing I can think of is the harmonic balancer. How does it look?
The harmonic balancer look like it was in good condition, but I changed it anyway. That was the problem. It didn't even look bad. Thank you. Next question after the harmonic balancer change do I need to relearn the pcm and tcm ? Having a little hard shift and trans is revving high. I'm sure that's all I need to do. Just getting a second opinion. Not low on fulid or to full and the filter and fluid are all new less than 200 Miles on it. This started after the harmonic balancer change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts