Ford Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
mac2
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let start by saying I had hoped to post a happy thread with pictures of my new vehicle, a 2009 Ford Crown Victoria P71. Sadly this isn't the case, I've had the vehicle a little over a week now and up until today everything was great. She ran fine, no noticeable issues, etc. All of a sudden, I thought my transmission slipped as I was accelerating relatively quickly.

I eased into it a little at my next turn, rather than 'jumping on the gas'. All seemed okay, until I was switching gears in a parking lot noticing that I didn't feel the transmission 'lock' into 'D' as quickly as it would into 'R'.
I did notice the arrow on my dashboard for the gears was off a bit [my '99 Ford Ranger had this problem where the linkage was off]

Long story short: Reverse works great, but not Drive, 1st, or 2nd unless I reach HIGH RPM's. I also noticed that as long as the vehicle did not come to a complete stop I was 'okay'. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,617 Posts
If you manually shift from 1rst on up to drive, is it still slow to engage?

Also, why do you think your heater core need to be changed? The short answer is it shouldn't.

·
mac2
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Also, why do you think your heater core need to be changed? The short answer is it shouldn't.
Same problem shifting from 1st on up to Drive. Slow to engage, or nothing. I'm hoping it's a clogged filter or torque converter? Crazy thing is Reverse shifts no problem.

To answer the heater core question: A hose keeps coming loose for sure. Maybe it just needs to be tightened. I definitely smell radiator fluid, but don't see a leak.

·
Super Moderator
9,617 Posts
Definitely try a fluid and filter change. What kind of mileage is on her and do you have any idea what she did in her former life? Being a 2009, I'd assume either police or some sort of livery.

·
Super Moderator
22,768 Posts
If as you say " the arrow on my dashboard for the gears was off " , would it not be worthwhile sorting this out first in case it is throwing gear selection linkage out or vice versa ? You can get the heater core " sweating " and then drying up with use , causing the smell .But usually a warning it's on the way out .If the hose keeps coming off after refitting make sure you dont have excessive pressure build up on cooling system blowing it off .

·
mac2
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely try a fluid and filter change. What kind of mileage is on her and do you have any idea what she did in her former life? Being a 2009, I'd assume either police or some sort of livery.
Bought her with 137k+miles. I'm pretty sure it's a former squad as the floor is rubber, the push bumper, light, etc. ONLY thing that MAY indicate otherwise is the door trim I suppose?

If as you say " the arrow on my dashboard for the gears was off " , would it not be worthwhile sorting this out first in case it is throwing gear selection linkage out or vice versa ? You can get the heater core " sweating " and then drying up with use , causing the smell .But usually a warning it's on the way out .If the hose keeps coming off after refitting make sure you dont have excessive pressure build up on cooling system blowing it off .
I did not take notice of the linkage/gear indicator arrow being 'off' when I test drove it. It's possible it was, I just didn't take notice. I will take note of your suggestions for the heater core R.S LOGAN.

Here is a link to a facebook page covering the same topic, not that it does much: [Tim McNamee]

https://www.facebook.com/groups/crownvic.net/10153078432584043/?notif_t=group_comment

·
Registered
5 Posts

Hey, CatSkinner, that’s exactly what my 09’ CVPI is doing. Have any ideas on why?
I recently changed 2 solenoids and while I was there I put new fluid in & new filter.
Didn’t see any metal in the pan.
Afterwards it was run’n a lot better for a day or two, then it did it again. Slow to engage from P to D. sometimes it won’t catch after a stop and I gotta put it into 2 gear to get it rolling.
It’s got 160k miles and was a squad car.
Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
9,617 Posts
Manual shifting takes the control away from the TCM, separates control from mechanical. With 160K on it, it might be time to rebuild the transmission.clutch packs wear, wear products impede movement.

·
Super Moderator
1,961 Posts
First, follow Logan's advice. The trans will not shift properly if it is getting a wrong signal from a poorly adjusted shift cable. Check the cable adjustor at the transmission and the pot metal shift detent on the steering column. Additionally, if it's a P 71, it's had a rough life. However, most 4R75's last longer than 160K. Did you remove the valve body when you changed trans fluid and check the 1-2 and 3-4 accumulators for wear and debris? Sluggish shifting can be caused by worn and leaking accumulators, weak accumulator springs, or debris in the accumulator housing. I would look there after following Logan's advice and before rebuilding the trans.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Manual shifting takes the control away from the TCM, separates control from mechanical. With 160K on it, it might be time to rebuild the transmission.clutch packs wear, wear products impede movement.
Thanks for the bad news! No really, thank you.
damn that sucks. Is there any reason why it seems to do it when turning sharp?

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
Thanks for the bad news! No really, thank you.
damn that sucks. Is there any reason why it seems to do it when turning sharp?
Does it neutral out on turns? That can be caused by low fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does it neutral out on turns? That can be caused by low fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe the fluid is correct. I actually just changed it 2xs. Once to see if it fixed it And again when I put new solenoids in it. There was no metal in the pan and seemed to be in good order. It’s slow to engage in drive too. I guess I’m about to do the Valve body inspection and I’m so frustrated I could scream. I do SO MUCH maintenance on my cars and still never know if I’m going to get home. Since all my cars are Ford, I’m starting to wonder if that’s the issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks everyone for yr help!
I’m about to pull the valve body and do what Bajarider recommended. While I have the VB out I plan on doing a J-mod… can that help a slipping trans like mine? Anymore suggestions I should do while I’m there?
also,
I’ve heard about a shift mod that lets you control shifting with a paddle… could that possibly fix my trans problem?
Thanks everyone

1 - 20 of 21 Posts