Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2010 Escape 4 cyl with a cylinder 1 misfire code. 100,000 miles and code just came on. Vibration at about 50 and 70 mph and when in gear and foot on brake. Changed plugs - same code, swapped coil 1 with 4 - same code, swapped injector 1 with 4 - same code. Not sure where to go from here. Egr and intake issues would show up on other cylinders, not just cylinder one misfire I would think. Didnt know if anybody else has had the same issue. Any help would be great, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,457 Posts
If your misfire is continuously on the same cylinder, you may have an intake manifold gasket leak. How's your coolant level?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have noticed any change in coolant level, is there any simple tests to determine if the intake manifold is leaking?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, Haven't noticed any change in coolant level. I did get a random cylinder misfire code once that is permanent. Yes I cleared the code after every swap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I am clearing the code, vibration is when brake torquing or engine is under load when trans upshifts.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Something is getting put back in the wrong place here. The 2.5l is a very robust engine. Base engine is not likely. You getting a p0301 correct? You have a secondary ignition miss. You sure you didn't mix up the coils? Also you put in new plugs right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I am getting a cyl 1 misfire code. Changed plugs. You cannot mix cyl 1 with cyl 2 coil wires. Still getting same cyl 1 misfire after swapping coils and fuel injectors. Vibration is noticable when driving at about 50 when trans shifts and rpms are low. Throttle engine while doing 50 vibration goes away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I checked coil and injector wires - ok. Resistance checks were good. Removed intake butterfly and found intake to be oil coated and there is a small amount of oil sitting in the bottom of the intake manifold. Is this an egr valve issue?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I checked coil and injector wires - ok. Resistance checks were good. Removed intake butterfly and found intake to be oil coated and there is a small amount of oil sitting in the bottom of the intake manifold. Is this an pcv issue?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Oil is typical in the intakes. I would not be concerned. I'm going to ask a question and don't take offense. What cylinder do you identify as cyl 1? Should be the one all the way to the passenger side. Just making sure all on the same page

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes cylinder 1 is passenger side. Removed intake and replaced pcv valve hose - hose was brittle and cracked when I removed the intake. Drove car and vibration seems not as bad but I am still getting a cyl 1 misfire code. Do not know where to go next.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but did anyone find a solution to this??? Have a 2012 escape, same engine same issue (cylinder 1 misfire), replaced all spark plugs and coils and still happening. What do I do?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,457 Posts
Misfire can be caused by running lean (vacuum leak, bad injector, fouled filter or faulty pump, but they probably throw other misfires), faulty electrical (fouled spark plug, wires degrading, weak coil), and a possible head gasket or intake leak. There are other items as well, but a single cylinder misfire narrows down the possibility quite a bit. Try swapping the plugs first, pay attention to the one coming out of #1 for abnormal fouling. If the issue stays, try swapping the coils, then the injectors. If the issue remains with #1, you might want to pressure test the coolant system. Usually coolant will cause fouling of the plug, but there's a chance that it is quenching the spark, but not showing up on the plug.

There's a start for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all... I have a 2009 Escape 2.5l that has the exact same symptoms as mentioned above. P0301 cyclinder 1 misfire, studdering around 55 mph. Has anyone found a fix for it?

I have checked the coil, plugs, injector.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Super Moderator
8,457 Posts
How's your vacuum, coolant level, and how did plug 1 look compared to the others?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts