Ford Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Ford Explorer that I purchased last year. And since June of this year, it has been randomly shutting off on me while I drive. It shuts off every 2-3 weeks while I'm driving 30 MPH or less. I've taken it to a Ford dealership to be serviced on repeatedly these past 4 months but they can't figure out what's wrong. Initially, they thought it was the throttle body and replaced that for almost $800, but that didn't fix it.

The car shuts down to the point where it's as if the key is in the ignition but hasn't started up. I'll be driving and then the steering wheel begins to tighten up, the check engine, oil, and battery light come on. I'd either pull over or set the car to Neutral and turn the car off and on and then continue to drive. Radio and lights do not turn off. After restarting the car, it would be fine, but 2-3 weeks later, same thing would happen again.

There's no rhyme or reason other than every 2-3 weeks. Gas level, outside temperature, time of day have all been different.

Some things that I've noticed with the car over the past 4 months is that the brake and steering has been tighter since this started to happen. Also, the RPMs are always under 1000 and drop below 500 at times. I've read on some different sites it could be alternator, computer, wiring, throttle body, etc.

If anyone can help with this, it'd be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to trade in or get rid of this car. Unfortunately, I bought the car used from a Honda dealership and there's no warranty on it. I'm located in Central NJ. Even if anyone knows of a mechanic or someone that has dealt with this before.

Please help.

·
Super Moderator
9,606 Posts
I would be monitoring the voltage first. If voltage is taking a dip, it's your voltage regulator. Also check the serpentine belt for slippage. If something in the belt path is hanging, the belt may slip resulting in what you saw.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It's going to be be difficult due to the randomness it happens. You can try wiggling the harness under the hood and see if it stalls. Could be any number of things happening. The trick will be finding the system that is shutting down for that moment

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same exact issue happen to me once on Friday. I replaced the starter about 2 weeks ago but don't think that's related. Gas and oil are fine. Turned the car off and turned it back on and worked fine.

I have a 2010 Ford Explorer that I purchased last year. And since June of this year, it has been randomly shutting off on me while I drive. It shuts off every 2-3 weeks while I'm driving 30 MPH or less. I've taken it to a Ford dealership to be serviced on repeatedly these past 4 months but they can't figure out what's wrong. Initially, they thought it was the throttle body and replaced that for almost $800, but that didn't fix it.

The car shuts down to the point where it's as if the key is in the ignition but hasn't started up. I'll be driving and then the steering wheel begins to tighten up, the check engine, oil, and battery light come on. I'd either pull over or set the car to Neutral and turn the car off and on and then continue to drive. Radio and lights do not turn off. After restarting the car, it would be fine, but 2-3 weeks later, same thing would happen again.

There's no rhyme or reason other than every 2-3 weeks. Gas level, outside temperature, time of day have all been different.

Some things that I've noticed with the car over the past 4 months is that the brake and steering has been tighter since this started to happen. Also, the RPMs are always under 1000 and drop below 500 at times. I've read on some different sites it could be alternator, computer, wiring, throttle body, etc.

If anyone can help with this, it'd be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to trade in or get rid of this car. Unfortunately, I bought the car used from a Honda dealership and there's no warranty on it. I'm located in Central NJ. Even if anyone knows of a mechanic or someone that has dealt with this before.

Please help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you fix the issue?? We noticed it’s when any weight is on the key and wiggles or moves at all like over a bump or turn the car shuts off. Don’t know how to fix yet.

Please help.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Please help.
Hi there ...
I am facing exactly the same problem...My dealer has replaced fuel pump,cleaned the injectors,replaced spark plugs, replaced MAP and Air sensor but no joy ... can you please advise what worked for you ?

·
Super Moderator
18,975 Posts
Hi there ...
I am facing exactly the same problem...My dealer has replaced fuel pump,cleaned the injectors,replaced spark plugs, replaced MAP and Air sensor but no joy ... can you please advise what worked for you ?
Unlikely you will get an answer as the OP has not been back since posting more than 7yrs ago

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there ...
Same here! It’s so annoying
The mechanic changed the fuel pump, and I we repaired the ECM (computer) but still the same issue, it made me really dislike this brand and never thinking of buying a Ford again!

·
Super Moderator
9,606 Posts
Have you done any diagnostics, or looking to see if there's an answer? There were several items to check that could have caused the problem, which means that just because your car exhibits the same symptoms, it doesn't necessarily have the same failing component.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Did you ever check and see if you have any fault codes? Does it start right back up after it stalls out? Your steering , brakes getting hard, RPM going down means the engine has already stalled and no power or juice is going to these things

·
Registered
7 Posts
yes, I'm having the same issue.
it's a dangerous problem. thus, whether the person that made the original post is still a member or own same vehicle doesn't count in as much as others have complained of same issue. clear solution(s) for the problem should be provided both for present owners and future ones, please.
thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You are better starting your own new post rather than tag on to other older posts , giving all information on vehicle , what has been done so far or checked out
OK.
but it's expedient to know the trail of many other unresolved connected complaints on the same issue. I have given the vehicle to a mechanic (he handles only Ford); I will revert on what he was able to do.

·
Super Moderator
18,975 Posts
If you want to know or read other replies to your problem use the search facility and you can " know the trail of many other unresolved connected complaints on the same issue. " till your hearts content . Otherwise , start a new post with your problem . Also there may be differences in vehicle specs with vehicles in Nigeria and also driving conditions which may be relevant to replying .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts