Ford Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a clogged radiator be the prime suspect? Are there any write-ups or videos to help with this replacement?

My son was traveling on the highway headed home this past weekend and after about 4 hours on the highway the car started overheating. He got it off the interstate and to a gas station. It was bucking as he was pulling in. The codes read something about the cylinder heads were in safe mode, I can't remember the specifics.

I had it towed home and changed the thermostat. It didn't make a difference, the car overheats pretty quickly. We bought it in 2017 with 40,000 miles, I doubt the antifreeze has ever been changed, at least I know I didn't change it.

Any advice appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
Does the radiator get hot? If it remains relatively cool for an overheating engine, it could be the pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car puked alot of antifreeze the last time I ran it. I pulled it into the garage and started taking it apart to remove the radiator. I believe it's clogged. Are there any good online resources to help show me how to get the radiator out? More specifically if I could get the fans out the radiator should be easy. I think I have the fans loose but it's so tight in there I can't tell whats holding them in place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I saw that video. It's not the same fan as mine, mine has a dual fan and it is a very tight fit to get out, tough to remove without damaging the radiator. I replaced the radiator with a Motorcraft radiator that I had to order and the new one leaked. I went local and bought a lifetime warranty radiator from O'Reilly Auto Parts and once I got it installed I realized the radiator inlet is about 1.5 inches higher up on the radiator, causing me to have to shorten the upper radiator hose and re-route the wiring harness, both easier to do than to remove the fan and radiator again. Once I got it running I couldn't get the air bubbles out of the system. After many attempts to bleed the system I decided to rent a cooling system pressure tester and found the thermostat I replaced had a pinched seal, causing the system to suck air but it wasn't leaking. Back on it again today. This one has been kicking my butt!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've done a pressure test of the cooling system and it leaks down. I also found water in the oil. I don't know if it's the water pump leaking into the oil pan or if it's a head gasket. I ran a couple of block gas tests and the blue fluid never changed color. I'm leaning towards the water pump as the issue, just trying to wrap my head around changing the pump myself or paying someone. I hate to pay someone to find out that I also have a head or head gasket issue. I'm going to check on a Jasper engine to see how much it would be. Labor to swap a motor is probably cheaper than labor to change the water pump. The engine has right at about 100,000 miles. Quite a disappointment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts