Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Life-long Ford guy...
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something is malfunctioning intermittently on my 2010 Ranger.

Yesterday (Monday, 10/09/17) I was leaving a rural home with a somewhat overgrown with grass gravel driveway and switched it into 4wd. While it pulled the grade without any traction control clicking from the rear end, the 4x4 Hi dash light did not come on. As an FYI, I was pulling a trailer with a motorcycle on it; I am certain that had it not gone into 4wd that I would have spun the rear tires.

So after I got out on the road I switched it back into 2wd and still, no lights.

Later in the morning I got to a level place and stopped, put it in neutral, and switched it to 4wd Lo. Still no light, and it did not go into the low range.

The dash lights are working when I first turn on the key and start the engine. Then today I switched it into 4wd high and the on indicator light came on, but I couldn't tell that it was actually on and engaged. :whoaa:

I don't need the 4wd very often, but when I do need it, it will be essential to avoiding a tow charge or some other issue.

What do I need to do to run this down and get it fixed?

Suggestions, wisdom, or steps towards resolving this will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

·
Super Moderator
7,646 Posts
If you're sure it's going into 4WD, it might just be a bulb issue. I posted the wiring for the 4WD module.

Capture A.jpg

Capture B.jpg

·
Life-long Ford guy...
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

How do I check to see if it is actually in 4wd? I don't think it is based on the steering feel, but today the 4x4 light on the dash is stuck on.

At the moment I'm working 14 hour days. I'll start running down wiring and such this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
7,646 Posts
Sure way is to lift the front end, put it in 4WD and see if you can turn the wheels.

·
Life-long Ford guy...
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure way is to lift the front end, put it in 4WD and see if you can turn the wheels.
I did the second best thing to check for 4wd. Where I work we have a hard-packed gravel parking lot so leaving work on Friday I went around the back-side of the place and "goosed" it. I got double bites on the rear tires but nothing on the front.

So this morning I took the negative battery cable off for about 10 minutes. When I reconnected the battery the light did not come back on.

·
Super Moderator
7,646 Posts
I'd start with checking fuses, then see if you have power getting to your switch.

·
Life-long Ford guy...
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd start with checking fuses, then see if you have power getting to your switch.
Roger that on the fuses.

This coming weekend a long-time friend from years ago in the service will be visiting with me. He is a better than average amateur wrench. Looking into a mechanical project will beat sitting around nodding "uh-huh" while the wives talk incessantly. So we may have to look into this while he is here - less the cases of brew we consumed years ago in the USMC. :beer2:

Our systems just won't handle the 16 hours days as they once did. Getting older is not for sissies. :frown2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
2 Participants
basketcase
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing