Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I’ve had my SUV to mechanic 3 times, I have a very bad and loud front end noise, seems like left side. brakes were bad so we did them, checked wheel bearings felt good, did left cv shaft and still loud. Mechanic thinks it’s a bad front tire, got 2 new front tires and nothing! He’s stumped and my car is bad to drive. The noise is on left side or center under feet? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
19,443 Posts
Depends what type of noise . If it's a droning noise that usually means a bearing . Wheel bearings can " feel good " and show no signs of wear but are noisy once under load .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s hard to explain the noise, loud rotating noise and doesn’t change when you move the wheel back and forth. Sounded 100% like a bad tire! Mainly cab noise, you. Any hear it when windows are down.

·
Super Moderator
19,443 Posts
Normally if a bearing the noise alters with speed and can change when load transferred from side to side . When you did brakes , were rotors / discs o.k and no excessive run out ? Thought this might apply , but from what you sat , maybe not .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can you take a picture of the left side area where the noise is coming from so we can see the area in question? Maybe record the sound? Does it make noise while driving a certain speed limit or, does it start as soon as you drive?
I had a Cadillac Escalade with a bad bearing. The sound sounded like crunching/snapping metal parts as I drove. I lifted the wheel and the wheel did not wobble at all. Is the sound rotational, like a tap tap tap tap tap as the wheel turns does the sound goes faster as you accelerate, or does it make a noise no matter the speed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check the oil in the transfer case. It might be either the chain is stretched or you’re low in gear oil. Hopefully it’s just low on oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I believe so, it’s awd
Our 16 explorer made a such a deafening noise from the front end, I couldn’t stand to drive it. The faster I went, the louder the noise got. I thought it was probably a tire too, because I couldn’t get any play out of the wheels when jacked up, like u usually can when a bearing is out. Sounded like I had a broken belt in one of the tires. Also no ABS light came on like our older fords did when a bearing went out. Took it to the dealer and they had replaced both bearings and it was solved. They weren’t even sure if it was one of them or both, but they ended up replacing both to get it fixed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When the front wheel bearing hub assembly went out on my Trailblazer, spinning the tire with the suv jacked up in the air displayed absolutely zero noise from the bearing and it also didn't have any play in it front to back.The only way you could isolate the noise and diagnose it was to drive it and listen for an audible noise change while going around curves both left & right.If the driver side bearing is gone,the noise usually lessens while going around a sharp left hand curve due to the weight of the vehicle being shifted to the passenger side,which removed the load from the bearing.The passenger side bearing will display the noise reduction while going around right hand curves (of course)
When a stabilizer link
(i.e.- swaybar endlinks attached between the swaybar & a mounting tab welded to the strut/shock housing) goes bad,it would make a terrible rattling/ banging type noise anytime you would hit a pothole or large dip in the road.You would swear the noise was being made by the catalytic converter pipe or tail pipes smacking the underside of the vehicle, but no it turned out being the endlinks instead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts