Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Flex, purchased new. 3.5L Duratec, 117,000 miles at this time. The engine started to idle rough intermittently, check engine lite comes on and dealer replaced O2 sensor. $500 later and 3 miles from the service shop same problem.

Dealer now says I need to replace the engine! Claims the cam phasing is not actuating correctly due to low oil pressure at idle. (No low oil pressure light) Wants me to spend $7500 for exchange engine with 3 year 36K warranty. I have changed oil every 5000 miles (all highway miles) better than the recommendation in the scheduled maintenance book.

Does this engine really need to be removed to access actuator valves? Codes are P0011 P0012 P0021 P0022. The dealer did not do an oil pressure check which blows my mind.....Anyone ever seen this before? Can I check these spool valves myself without removing the engine?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Well do you know what the code was the first visit? None of those listed would indicate an O2 sensor problem. I suppose the engine could have jumped time. I haven't personally seen it but possible. As far as caused by low oil pressure that is a common failure on the 5.4 3V motor. Could be service writer trying to explain failure the best he knows with prof of the cause. It is a possibility that's what caused it but without further diagnosis hard to say. Base engine checks are the first step in diagnosing these codes. The problem I see is if it didn't have these codes before it needs to be rechecked as far as was anything altered during O2 repair. Like a ground left loose,connector not plugged in. Anything similar. Do you notice lack of power or anything unusual?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a '09 Flex and had an issue almost identical to what you are experiencing. Turns out it was 2 bad ignition coils which I bought for $25/each and replaced myself. Before even considering buying a new engine make sure all your coils are firing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts