Ford Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks ago my 2011 Ford Focus SE started hissing under the dash of the defroster or the AC was turned on.. I took it to a shop and they hooked it up to the vacuum and couldn't find any leaks so they drained and charged the AC system.. There was no more hissing and then 5 days later it started hissing again and the AC started blowing warm air again. What's going on???? I tried to see if it would still be hissing today but it's not hissing and the compressor clutch isn't kicking on but now it sounds like its hissing from the compressor... anyone have any ideas on what's happening.??

·
Registered
119 Posts
You’ve got a leak. And if it leaks the whole charge in 5 days, it’s a pretty big one.

Here’s a couple of things to look for, just ignore that this is a 2001 GMC

The compressor and hoses are covered with a layer of dry dust. That’s good - no leaks here:
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Tread Synthetic rubber

Next is the box with the evaporator inside. Notice all the greasy dirt. Originally it had a slightly damp look, especially around the silver nut that connects the hose. The O ring had failed, and the refrigerant leaked out carrying some refrigerant oil with it.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper

The blue cap covers the low side Schrader valve, it’s just like a tire valve stem but rated for refrigerant use. Sometimes you’ll see them bubbling oil, try tightening them back in with a valve stem tool. That usually works. Or if not they’re cheap to replace, but don’t try it if there’s still any system pressure!

Let us know what you find.

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
I believe the blend door actuator is electrical for that model, as Dan_in_WA stated, it sounds like a leak. Easy leak check, cut some dish detergent 25% to 50% (depending on the thickness of the fluid, regular Palmolive will be about 25%) and spray it on the joints and where any hoses pass through the firewall. It should foam up.If it's under the dash, it gets a little trickier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts