Ford Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is the difference between a 2.0L motor made before 05/31/2011 and a motor made after 06/01/2011? I'm trying to buy a used motor and this question keeps popping up. The production date is on the door sticker.
Edit: an option of before 05/31/11 or after 06/01/11 is required for compatibility, but the engines look identical in side by side pictures. Help..?

· Super Moderator
19,248 Posts
Ask whoever says that there is a difference what it is and how they can identify each engine , they should know if that is the case . According to this they are no changes

Ford Focus (third generation)

Engine lineup in North America[edit]
The Focus was launched with only one engine option, a 2.0-litre Duratec 20 direct injected, Ti-VCT 4-cylinder, producing 160 hp (119 kW). Mid-2012, Flex Fuel capability was added,[21] except for states in the United States that adhere to partial zero-emissions vehicle regulations. The engine is a derivative of the port fuel-injected 2.0-liter engine in the previous generation Focus.[22] In late 2012, the range was joined by the Focus ST, with a turbocharged 2.0-litre producing 252 hp (188 kW) (available only with a manual transmission).

For the 2015 refresh, the EcoBoost 1.0-litre three-cylinder began to be offered in North America as an extra-cost option for SE trim level. The 2016 model added 2.3-litre EcoBoost for the new RS trim level.

Ford Focus (second generation, North America)

For a complete overview of all Focus models, see Ford Focus.
Chronology
Dimensions
Powertrain
Body and chassis
Overview
Ford Focus
(second generation, North America)
2009 ford focus SES sedan.JPG
ManufacturerFord
ProductionSeptember 2007–December 2010[1]
Model years2008–2011
AssemblyWayne, Michigan, United States (Wayne Stamping & Assembly)
DesignerLon Zaback (2005)
ClassCompact car / Small family car (C)
Body style4-door sedan
2-door coupe
Engine2.0 L Duratec I4 (gasoline)
Transmission4-speed automatic
5-speed manual
Wheelbase102.9 in (2,614 mm)
Length175 in (4,445 mm)
WidthCoupe: 67.9 in (1,725 mm)
Sedan: 67.8 in (1,722 mm)
Height58.6 in (1,488 mm)
Curb weight2,588–2,642 lb (1,174–1,198 kg)
PredecessorFord Focus (first generation)
SuccessorFord Focus (third generation)

The restyled North American second generation Ford Focus was sold by Ford as either a two-door coupe and 4-door sedan — the hatchbacks and wagon were discontinued.
The 2.3 liter Duratec engine is discontinued for the redesign, leaving only the 2.0 liter Duratec 20 engine. Power is increased in the 2.0 liter engine, up to 140 hp (104 kW) from 136 hp (101 kW), along with other changes to increase fuel efficiency.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the difference between a 2.0L motor made before 05/31/2011 and a motor made after 06/01/2011? I'm trying to buy a used motor and this question keeps popping up. The production date is on the door sticker.
Edit: an option of before 05/31/11 or after 06/01/11 is required for compatibility, but the engines look identical in side by side pictures. Help..?
Ask whoever says that there is a difference what it is and how they can identify each engine , they should know if that is the case . According to this they are no changes

Ford Focus (third generation)

Engine lineup in North America[edit]
The Focus was launched with only one engine option, a 2.0-litre Duratec 20 direct injected, Ti-VCT 4-cylinder, producing 160 hp (119 kW). Mid-2012, Flex Fuel capability was added,[21] except for states in the United States that adhere to partial zero-emissions vehicle regulations. The engine is a derivative of the port fuel-injected 2.0-liter engine in the previous generation Focus.[22] In late 2012, the range was joined by the Focus ST, with a turbocharged 2.0-litre producing 252 hp (188 kW) (available only with a manual transmission).

For the 2015 refresh, the EcoBoost 1.0-litre three-cylinder began to be offered in North America as an extra-cost option for SE trim level. The 2016 model added 2.3-litre EcoBoost for the new RS trim level.

Ford Focus (second generation, North America)

For a complete overview of all Focus models, see Ford Focus.
Ford Focus
(second generation, North America)
Overview
Body and chassis
Powertrain
Dimensions
Chronology
2009 ford focus SES sedan.JPG
ManufacturerFord
ProductionSeptember 2007–December 2010[1]
Model years2008–2011
AssemblyWayne, Michigan, United States (Wayne Stamping & Assembly)
DesignerLon Zaback (2005)
ClassCompact car / Small family car (C)
Body style4-door sedan
2-door coupe
Engine2.0 L Duratec I4 (gasoline)
Transmission4-speed automatic
5-speed manual
Wheelbase102.9 in (2,614 mm)
Length175 in (4,445 mm)
WidthCoupe: 67.9 in (1,725 mm)
Sedan: 67.8 in (1,722 mm)
Height58.6 in (1,488 mm)
Curb weight2,588–2,642 lb (1,174–1,198 kg)
PredecessorFord Focus (first generation)
SuccessorFord Focus (third generation)

The restyled North American second generation Ford Focus was sold by Ford as either a two-door coupe and 4-door sedan — the hatchbacks and wagon were discontinued.
The 2.3 liter Duratec engine is discontinued for the redesign, leaving only the 2.0 liter Duratec 20 engine. Power is increased in the 2.0 liter engine, up to 140 hp (104 kW) from 136 hp (101 kW), along with other changes to increase fuel efficiency.
I've called and asked several people, and all they can tell me is that a car with an engine built before 5/31/11 isnt compatible with the same year model car with an engine built after 6/01/11. That's why I'm asking Ford Forums. I need to know why it isn't compatible and what's different between the two.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called a rep at LKQ (which is where I bought the motor), the service department at the Ford place in my town, and I asked a couple of mechanics when I was calling about labor prices. l bought an engine that was built "before 05/31/11" without realizing it, and I don't see any physical difference; connectors, bolt holes, part attachment places, etc. They say that I can't use that motor, but the only reason they can give me is because that sticker on the car says a different date range than the motor. Is it not compatible with the computer? Did the manufacturers change something in the design halfway through the year? Was it defective? I want to know... I turned to Google, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

· Super Moderator
19,248 Posts
The people you spoke with should have been able to tell you why it would not fit or what was needed to make it do so , not just blame or accept a sticker on the car that says a different date range than the motor. , I have dealt with many breaker yards , engine remanufacturers / rebuilders and they all knew their stuff in the compatibility of parts and fitment and would tell you why / why not they were unsuitable . In your post title you list it as a 2012 Ford Focus , why cant you get them to change your engine for the correct year instead of fitting a 2011 and save all the uncertainty ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts