Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have a 2012 Ford Fusion SE 3.0L w/113k miles. About 2 weeks ago we had an issue with our water pump leaking, replaced it along with the belt and the thermostat. There are no longer any leaks but we are still having an issue with overheating. As long as it's idling it seems to be okay, but once we start driving and pressing the gas pedal the temp gauge starts to jump almost to the top. We drove it a short distance around the neighborhood and highway but still having the issue. We have it parked and only test drive it when we replace something or try something new. Last night we tried burping it to make sure there were no air bubble trapped in the system somewhere. There is plenty of coolant in the resovoir. The fan also seems to be working okay, but once the temp starts rising and it kicks on it gets really loud and doesn't shut off until we turn the car off. We did take it down to the auto parts store once we noticed it was still having an issue after replacing the water pump and thermostat since the check engine light was still on, they said it was code P0128, which is basically the thermostat. The guy reset the light for us and said if it comes back on then we know there is a problem. The light hasn't come back on but still overheating and there is no milky color to our oil so we know it's not the headgasket. I'm thinking either it may have a block somewhere in the radiator and needs to be flushed or it could be our temp coolant sensor? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
20,321 Posts
" there is no milky color to our oil so we know it's not the headgasket. " Not so , depends where gasket blown whether it mixes with oil or not . Could be blowing out exhaust . A block test will confirm if o.k or not . When you bled cooling system did you get any air ? Are coolant hoses over pressurising ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did get a bit of air out when we bled the system and I tried to get more out yesterday afternoon but didn't see anymore. I checked the hoses out yesterday as well and they seem to be working fine and the right temp. The check engine light hasn't come on yet, but still seems to be overheating or at least the temp gauge says it is and the loud fan. I haven't seen anything coming out of the exhaust but we haven't drove it far since we don't know what's wrong and don't want to ruin the engine. We thought we may try the Coolant Temp Sensor next.

·
Super Moderator
8,280 Posts
How warm is the radiator getting? If you're having a hard time moving fluid, the running fan and the sensor change will do you no good. If you're not moving fluid, because the fan is running overtime, the radiator will be relatively cool in relation to the coolant in the block.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts