Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Fusion Sport overheated last week, I replaced the engine oil (only full synthetic), transmission fluid, and thermostat. Ever since the cabin heat does not kick on until the Engine Temperature Gauge reaches Hot or more. Once the cabin heat kicks in the gauge drops to normal temperature. Any troubleshooting ideas?

·
Super Moderator
20,321 Posts
You sure your overheating problem has been fixed ? .Coolant level o.k ? Temp gauge should not normally go as high as that . Is the coolant fan kicking in o.k ? Could try bleeding cooling system and seeing if any air . Any sign of the coolant hoses pressurizing ? It's possible head / gasket may have been damaged when overheated . If in doubt a block test will confirm if any damage .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coolant was a little low so I drained to flush. In the process I spotted a leak where the water pump pulley meets with the body of the water pump. Should I replace the water pump after the flush & drain?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I flushed the system, tightened up the 3 bolts holding the pulley assembly, and filled the system again. No leaking and all seems okay. I'll test it again in the morning. It's curious that I have only been able to fill a gallon of coolant in the system though- could this indicate another problem? I thought the coolant capacity was 10.6 quarts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW fan is kicking on; I cannot find where a bleed valve is in the system, but I squeezed the upper and lower hoses until no more burping

·
Super Moderator
20,321 Posts
Very few cars nowadays have actual bleeders for cooling system , usually not needed .Did you have the heater control / valve on hot , open position when draining and refilling ? You will have to identify for certain where the leak is coming from and eliminate .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes on the heater being on while draining and refilling. I drove to work and home today 14 miles each way- temp gauge did not exceed normal operating temp and the heater activated sooner. I'll keep my eye on it for a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts