Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My work van recently started shifting in and out of overdrive. When I flip the OD OFF switch, it does the same thing in the two gears below OD. This leads me to believe that the problem is somehow electronic in nature. The one thing that concerns me most is the medium pitched whirring noise when in park or neutral. I also heard light thudding in place of the whirring noise when in park or neutral. I also notice that sometimes the van won't easily roll forward when I let off the brake in drive from a dead stop. I already replaced the throttle position sensor. What else should I look for, or a better question... Where should I start looking?
Any and all help is appreciated. I fear the damage might already be done.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
There were some planetary failures inside the trans in later e series vans. First need to identify the trans in the van. With the 5.4 I suspect the 4r70. If the noise seems to be coming from inside the trans may need to drop the pan and inspect for metal on the magnet. The random shifts could be caused by metal contamination of the EPC solenoid. I’ve had some cause really strange shift issues even after a repair if it’s contaminated and sticking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There were some planetary failures inside the trans in later e series vans. First need to identify the trans in the van. With the 5.4 I suspect the 4r70.
Wow, thanks for the fast response!
I'm probably going to take it to a mechanic tomorrow. He is the best tranny tech around here. I don't feel comfortable inside the transmission, but I'm fairly strong with wiring and sensors. Are there any electronic causes for something like that? The noise when in park was a whirring and light thudding. I'm trying to save a few bucks before giving in and letting the skilled one fix it.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
If it was electrical or even something slipping the pcm can usually pick it up. A sticking solenoid wouldn’t set a electrical dtc but would cause a code for incorrect gear ratio since a shift most likely wouldn’t occur if a solenoid is sticking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. This will really narrow things down. Please forgive my ignorance, I'm a furnace technician. Lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts