Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine light does seem to come on (intermittent) when the gas tank gets below 1/4? When it first happened, I took to dealer and they wanted $ 2600 to replace 2 cats. I refused and took the truck back and the light was out. Came back on intermittently. Filled the tank, light went out and took in for annual state emissions check.
Cat Convert, fuel cap, HC & CO passed manual staff driven test. Engine light came back on later? The truck has always run fine. How do I get the *@?? engine light to stay off?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first time the e/lite came on the code said it was the cats and that was from the dealer. But as noted above, the cats passed the emission test last month

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Would need to know what the specific code numbers are to even begin to give helpful advise.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Code P0430 is a catalyst efficiency below threshold. Very few things can and will cause this code to set. Most common is a cat converter that is not functioning as it should. As far as passing a manual emissions test I am not surprised. It could just be a little slow to heat the cat up to burn as it’s supposed to. It is on its way out for sure. Only other thing would be to make sure nothing else is happening causing it to fail. It can be replaced cheaper than dealer quote but be careful aftermarket cats are not of the same quality. And I would also look at the warranty of your truck. Emissions are typically 8years 80k for a cat. Maybe look into that. And if you are a regular at your dealer they may be able to assist in the cost if it’s just out of warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts