Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I recently bought a 2013 ford mustang (3.7 v6). After about 4-5 months of driving it (in the winter), I noticed that my heat was blowing out ice cold, even when the car was completely warmed up. I decided to check my coolant, and noticed the upper reservoir was completely empty. I proceeded to let the car cool down, then filled it up to the 'cold fill' line, then let it run until warm. Once it started taking more coolant down, I slowly continued putting coolant into the reservoir until it was starting to fill up (indicating that the engine was full and the rest was back-filling into the reservoir). All was good for about 2 weeks, and the reservoir was completely empty again. I did the same thing again, and after another 2 weeks the reservoir was empty. All in all, I go through about a half a gallon to 3/4 of a gallon of antifreeze every two weeks. Thinking maybe it was leaking out somewhere, I looked all over where I park it, and found no trace of coolant on the ground. I also cannot smell coolant anywhere. After reading online that it's possible the water pump is failing, I proceeded to check the weep hole, but found no sign of coolant leaking out, and in fact all around where the water pump is is still clean from when they detailed it before I picked it up.

I usually let it run for a bit before I take off, especially when it's cold, and there is no coolant anywhere I have let it sit. I also checked the oil to see if the coolant was leaking into there, and it's not. The temperature gauge never goes over half-way, and has never ever came close to overheating, even when it's blowing out ice cold air. When it does blow out cold air though, I can put maybe 8 oz of coolant into the reservoir and it instantly starts blowing hot air out again, even though the reservoir isn't full or barely has any coolant in it.

Does anybody know what the problem could be?

·
Super Moderator
18,955 Posts
A coolant pressure test should show any external leaks and a block test will check heads/gaskets .Depends where head gasket blows whether it mixes with the engine oil or blows out exhaust . A leaking head gasket can cause airlock causing heater to blow cold , by your opening and topping up coolant it can temp bleed out fault for a very short time .

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there an easy way to check either of these, as well as what expected ranges should be?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usually when you do pressure tests, there are expected acceptable ranges for what's considered pass or fail.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah my hose doesn't have the check valve on it. I just had it in for the airbag, I would've thought they would also bring that up too if it were impacted by it.

Maybe because it's not a safety recall, they decided not to?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
2 Participants
R.S.LOGAN
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing