Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My F150 5.0 was running great. I had to drop a boat in the water and it's a steep ramp so I put her into 4 wheel drive low, When I did this a message on the dash told me to drive forward to engage. I did that and she popped in pretty loudly. Coming out of the boat ramp I put her back into 2 wheel drive and again she popped pretty loudly. I continued to drive and I heard another popping noise and she was no longer in drive. It did not matter where I put the gear shift she would not go into gear Even when I put her in park she was not in park, then after monkeying around back-and-forth trying to figure out what was going on when I put her into park she made a grinding noise and I can only assume she was in park because I couldn't move her. The shift linkage appears to be intact and working correctly and the grinding noise when we put it in park sounds like it is coming from the transfer case. I wondering if it could be the Transfer case motor? I'm hoping someone can give me a little guidance.

·
Super Moderator
8,465 Posts
It does sound like the transfer case, I rebuilt mine out f an 88 last summer, they're not as beefy as you'd think inside. Find a friend you can trust, preferable one you owe money to and not the other way around, and have them try to shift it into 4 WD while parked and observe the motor, it'll be high on the transfer case towards the front on the driver's side of the truck. You should see the servo extend and retract. From what you've describe, it sounds like you may fave thrown one of the adjusting forks.

If your wife knows you have good life insurance, don't let her do it. That's a lot of temptation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
#1 thanks for your response! So I did remove the transfer case motor and had my daughter turn the 4x4 switch to multiple settings and the motor is not turning at all. I'm thinking I spend the $250 on a new TC motor but I'm not in a position to throw away $250 so I want to try to confirm it is the transfer case motor. Shouldn't that shaft spin to a new position when the 4 x 4 is engaged?

·
Super Moderator
8,465 Posts
The drive shaft? That depends on how the teeth are engaged, but it may take up slop. You may be stuck between positions, see if you can disconnect the motor and move the lever by hand. While it's disconnected, also see if the motor works with no load.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not the drive shaft, the shaft in the motor. It does not move, I have the motor off. I can't turn the crankshaft by hand either

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I bought a new transfer case motor but the shaft coming out if the crankshaft is 180 degrees off and when I turn that shaft it is spring loaded and will not stay in the right position. Is this normal?

·
Super Moderator
8,465 Posts
Are you trying to turn it with the spark plugs in? You may be fighting compression. And, no, the output shaft of the engine shouldn't turn just because you engaged the 4WD. There should be several splines on the shaft, you shouldn't have to turn it.
Picture(s) of what you're dealing with might help explain this better.

·
Super Moderator
1,415 Posts
Hello Cat. He's talking about the transfer case shaft, not the engine crankshaft. And yes, the transfer case motor shaft should be indexed to the position the transfer case is (was) in before you install it. Index the motor shaft, not the transfer case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts