Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching and trying to get some ideas on what avenue to pursue to diagnose this, but after a lot of reading I am not finding this exact problem. Hopefully someone has experienced the same issue and has found a resolution. I have a 2015 F250 Super Duty gas engine with 115k miles and for some time have had a problem with the vehicle shaking or vibrating at highway speeds. This is not the death wobble I have read about. You can feel the vibration in the seat like it is coming from the rear end, but not sure that is the source. I have bought new tires, had all four tires force balanced, changed out the wheels, etc., with no improvement. The suspension has not been modified. What makes this hard to poinpoint is that it is an intermittent problem, does not happen every time I drive it, and the degree of the vibration/wobble will vary. I have had independent mechanics look at it as well as the local Ford dealer. No one wants to take the time to try to diagnose the problem. They only want to balance the tires and send you on your way. I am not a mechanic and do not have a shop where I can experiment with fixes. If anyone has had a similar problem and found a fix I would be grateful to know what you figured out. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Super Moderator
8,886 Posts
My personal truck has heavy lugs.... and is much much older. But, heavy lugs can do this. The same patch of road can cause different sensations depending how you hit it. Also, high spots on the brake rotor, wheel bearings, etc. Do you know if the truck ever took a rear end hit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. No evidence of a rear end hit. The prior owner lived in Alaska so not sure what he got into. I've had the truck for 4 years now and I inherited the problem. Never buy a truck online. I travel the Interstate to work and yesterday was a smooth ride, but this morning the shake was there. I've had the brakes serviced so hoping I can check off on the rotors. I wish it happened everytime then it might be easier to diagnose.

·
Super Moderator
8,886 Posts
This is going to sound like a stupid question, but does the truck always sit level? A failing shock can do strange things.

·
Super Moderator
1,599 Posts
You have eliminated the most common cause of vibration by replacing and balancing the tires/wheels.

Since the vibration seems to be coming from the rear end I would look for possible worn "U" joints or driveshaft runout, next! An out-of-balance or (slightly) bent driveshaft is not uncommon, especially in Alaska.

Any competent mechanic should know what to look for, but if you have a driveline service shop in your area, I would go there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the rear shocks replaced yesterday. The mechanic said they looked like they had leaked oil. They may have needed replacing, but it did not solve the vibration/wobble. This is the weirdest problem because it is so intermittent. I drove home from the repair shop with a smooth ride thinking the problem was solved, then when driving today the vibration/wobble came back.

I will explore the U-joints and driveshaft next.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll report back.

·
Super Moderator
1,599 Posts
"U" joints, when worn, will usually vibrate when accelerating and would have probably failed soon after feeling the vibration. 115,000 miles is not a lot of mileage and, unless the truck was abused by the previous owner, the universal joints should still be serviceable. But check them anyway.. I would look more closely at the driveshaft. Does the truck have a center driveshaft support bearing? Don't overlook that either. As I mentioned, a good driveline service shop will know what to look for. If necessary, they can even balance the driveshaft. Does the vibration vary at different speeds or throttle position/load? .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts