Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '15 Taurus back-up camera has been operating only intermittently for the last 15 months. Most responses to this type of post here and elsewhere want to blame it on the camera itself. This may ultimately be the problem but this is a $450 fix for an OEM camera. And this isn't a SYNC problem per se because I have "reset" it twice with no joy. Just before the camera began it's issues, my audio control module on the steering wheel began to fail intermittently as well. I understand the repair on it, but could the camera problem be related to that - because of circuitry, ground wire, etc. ? Also, today I was told that there may be a SW update that the dealer has to install to fix the camera problem. I am interested in anybody's feedback on these two possible explanations for the camera problem. I want to find the true root cause of the problem before spending big $$.

·
Super Moderator
9,349 Posts
Is it not working at all or giving a blank screen with (generally blue) various colors?

·
Super Moderator
22,064 Posts
A call to the dealership on any possible software updates would be a good start off point .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Catskinner...The camera will work for 3 or 4 days. It may then not work at all for 3 or 4 days, or it may work for 5 seconds and then go to the blank screen with the message "contact the dealer". The 5 second thing may occur for 2 days. I don't think it is a ground wire problem because it seems that would result in no operation at all, or it may go ON and OFF while bumping through a parking lot.

RS...I did call the dealer 18 months ago about a SW update and they gave me a very vague reply. I will contact them again, perhaps they have a more definitive answer for me.

·
Super Moderator
9,349 Posts
Sounds like a connection problem, may need to get some electronics cleaner, fine the connectors and separate and clean them.I generally use dielectric grease to help protect them. Don't discount what Logan said about software updates, they still come into play, but I figure this is cheaper than what Ford may charge you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a connection problem, may need to get some electronics cleaner, fine the connectors and separate and clean them.I generally use dielectric grease to help protect them. Don't discount what Logan said about software updates, they still come into play, but I figure this is cheaper than what Ford may charge you.
Thanks CS, I will try this fix this weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts