Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little confused about using a "pull-up resistor" to use the signal from the PCM for the transmission park signal. I need this signal for a safety feature on an automatic start system for my generator. Here is the statement I have read but am still a little fuzzy about it. Before I make an expensive mistake I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using the blunt cut wires in the engine compartment to access this signal.

"An output from the PCM that indicates when the Transmission Range Sensor is indicating that the Transmission is in the Park Position. The Low Side driver in the PCM will pull this output to ground when active (Transmission is in the PARK Position). To properly reference this output, the customer supplied external controller/device needs to pull this output up to VPWR with a 10K Ohm resistor. Thus when the output is active, the voltage at this output will be 0 volts. When this output is not active, the output will be pulled up to VPWR by the 10K Ohm pull up resistor."

Has anyone had experience with this? If you can help look forward to hearing from you.

·
Super Moderator
7,785 Posts
I'll be honest with you, the wording has me kind of confused as well. Unfortunately, I have nothing to add, I just wanted to let you know you're not being ignored.

If I had to guess, I'd assume that they were saying that the resistor is put in line to change the voltage so that when an external power source is applied, the voltage is changed to condition it to an acceptable level. hat part is probably obvious, but without something to clue me into the sequence of operation, anything I put down is purely speculative.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts