Ford Forums banner

2017 Ford Focus SE expansion valve

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Knuckle66 
#1 ·
Hey all, where is the expansion valve located? Pics or diagrams would be great. But a description is also welcome.

This AC is killing me. I bought this car knowing that the AC was an issue but I had no idea. When I put the gauges on it (1234yf) it was already in a vacuum. I put my pump on it for good measure for 30 minutes just because. After that I added some oil which was just enough to get the clutch to kick in. The system sucked in 1 and half 8oz cans. After that it would not take anymore, and the PSI on both the high and low sides were the same. So I replaced the compressor, and I got the same results. A guy I know that works on big building AC units suggested that I change the expansion valve. I'm getting ready to order it but I don't know where it is located.
If this doesn't work you all will hear me screaming in defeat as I take the car to the shop.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
So I found it, it's up against the firewall and as you can see it's right by the LOW Schrader valve for the AC. I replaced it in about 15 minutes it was really easy to do. Unfortunately this did not fix my problem.

Automotive tire Tread Automotive exhaust Gas Synthetic rubber

Discussion starter · #8 ·
I cannot figure out for the life of me where the problem is. It's like there is a restriction or a damaged line. I ran all of the lines and nothing is broken, dented, bent nothing. I can't see the condenser really well but it looks fine. Off to the shop it goes. It's better this way. Otherwise I will want to kill my stepson for not taking it back to Ford to get fixed after he wrecked it 2 years ago and then did nothing with it, and basically ran the car into the ground.
I regret every day buying this turd, but If the shop can fix it I'll make my money back on the car in about a year. All though that doesn't count window tinting, adding remote start, figuring out how to get Sync 3 in the car (not a huge must right now) and a seat you can sit on for more than 30 minutes.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
You need to find out if it is puling in the clutch. If you are getting power to the clutch, but there's no difference in pressure, you have either a bad clutch or a bad ground. If the expansion valve is stuck closed, your low side would pull into a vacuum and the high side would be fairly high for operating conditions. If it were stuck open, there's be a difference in pressure, but the suction line would probably start frosting and your compressor could potentially be noisy from getting liquid slugs of refrigerant. To me, it sound like either you are not getting power to the clutch or you have a defective clutch. Both the HP and LP switches will kill power to the clutch, as a test, you can momentarily bypass the safeties, but I wouldn't recommend you leaving them that way, unless you want to replace the compressor again.

I did a little research before sending this, I think the high side is a transducer, not a switch. I was watching a video of a late model F150 that was monitoring high side pressure for fan control, which means the HVAC head module is making determination of when to kick on the compressor, temporarily jumping the compressor may be the way to go to make sure that the refrigerant circuit is intact and expand your diagnosis as necessary.
I can see the clutch spinning and I know it's working because I can unplug the high pressure switch, then the clutch shuts off and the pressures change on the gauges. I've replaced the expansion valve and I still have the same problem. My expanded research is taking it back to Ford. We took the Focus to a repair shop that we trust and like but they can't do 1234yf so I'm done dicking with it. It's about to be Fords problem.

edit I also wanted to say that I've replaced the compressor as well. It was from a junk yard but it came out of a rear ended car, with 65k on it. What are the chances that 2 compressors and 2 expansion valves are having the exact same problem?

Discussion starter · #11 · (Edited)
So just an update. I took it to Ford. Their official reason the AC wasn't working was because it didn't have freon on it....
My conversation in a nutshell.
Me: I know this, how did you get it to take a charge?
Ford: We hooked up our gear and put freon in it...
Me: BUT!!! How did you get it to charge? When I hooked up the can to the low side it would not take the freon. Even with the compressor running.
Ford: The reason it wasn't working was because it didn't have freon in it and we had to add some oil.
Ford: We also put dye into it so we can find the leak.
Me: There was no leak it was in a vacuum when I gave it to you. I was trying to charge the system.
Ford: We put dye into it so we can find the leak, and it didn't have freon in the system which is why it wasn't working.
This went on like a broken record for about 5 minutes.
Me: Ok what's the damage.
Ford: 560 dollars, 350 was because of the freon (1234yf) because it's new...
Me: Screaming in my head it's 45 dollars a can at Auto Zone!!! Why is it over twice as much!!!
I relayed all of this to my wife. Her response.
Wife: I'll go pick up the car, so you don't get in trouble...

My stress level with this car is insane. I hate it with the force of a 1000 suns. But it can get 40mpg so I'm going to put up with it for now. The F150 gets 16mpg...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.