Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been a loyal Ford customer for many years. My first car was a Ford and my last three new vehicle purchases have been Fords. In June of 2019 I bought a 2018 F150 FX4 VIN 1FTMF1EPXJKE23993. I did not have any serious issues with this truck until recently. The last two times I’ve used this truck to pull a 17 foot Jayco Humming bird trailer I have had a near fire and a fire in the engine compartment. Each trip was to the same location, less than 35 miles on pavement. The first event happened on Oct 25 2019. The second happened on December 19, 2019. Ford covered the first repairs, but did not cover them the second time. NO ROOT CAUSE. Doesn't Ford care about safety. Ford has also declined to buy back the truck. Now I have a truck that I don't trust and one I can't sell. I was offered wholesale value on a trade in? What design flaws are being covered up??????

·
Super Moderator
1,217 Posts
The F 150 is the best selling vehicle in the US. If there was a "design flaw" it would be well known and Ford would have too much to lose with a cover up. What was repaired the first time? I would check that repair and look for fuel/oil leaks, or an accumulation of fluids under the hood, especially on the engine. Also check electrical sources. And, of course, all manufacturers care about safety. That's why all Fords I am aware of are five star rated. You can't sell dangerous vehicles in today's world.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today I was told there will be a formal investigation by ford corp. A Design engineer will inspect the truck, hopefully a root cause will be found. Root cause and corrective action is what I've been trying to get so thanks to folks who are making this happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve been a loyal Ford customer for many years. My first car was a Ford and my last three new vehicle purchases have been Fords. In June of 2019 I bought a 2018 F150 FX4 VIN 1FTMF1EPXJKE23993. I did not have any serious issues with this truck until recently. The last two times I’ve used this truck to pull a 17 foot Jayco Humming bird trailer I have had a near fire and a fire in the engine compartment. Each trip was to the same location, less than 35 miles on pavement. The first event happened on Oct 25 2019. The second happened on December 19, 2019. Ford covered the first repairs, but did not cover them the second time. NO ROOT CAUSE. Doesn't Ford care about safety. Ford has also declined to buy back the truck. Now I have a truck that I don't trust and one I can't sell. I was offered wholesale value on a trade in? What design flaws are being covered up??????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Possible mouse nest or squirrel hiding nuts in exhaust manifold area. Exhaust gets a lot hotter when towing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ford Corp did identify a root cause. There are two size tires on the front one 265 and one 285. I did purchase a set of tires after I bought the truck. Also I did recently have the tires rotated and balanced, which moved the one rouge tire to the front. I am grateful for a root cause which can be corrected easily. Now it's off to see the fine folks at Discount Tires.

·
Super Moderator
1,217 Posts
Thanks for letting us know, but I too am curious. What caught fire? It's also good to know that our trusted Ford trucks are all they seem to be. Not even Ford can prevent tire shop mistakes! How did you miss this when checking air pressure?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts