Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

When the 2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1 was revealed last year, one common complaint pony car fans harbored was that Ford chose not to sell it with a shaker hood, a feature present on prior Mach 1 models. Ford deemed the shaker hood unnecessary, and only included it on the last-gen Mach 1 because it was needed to clear the car’s air intake, as Jim Owens, marketing director for the Mustang, explained. Now, Owens has also made us aware of a solution to this omission – a new 2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1 shaker hood from Classic Design Concepts (CDC).

CDC’s 2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1 shaker hood certainly looks the part, lending a classic styling element to the latest generation of the gussied-up pony car. That part will certainly satisfy the purists, and the shaker hood system is also functional, as it funnels air captured by the scoop into the car’s airbox that feeds Ford’s modified 5.0L Coyote V8. It even “shakes” like a proper shaker hood should when the engine is revved.

However, CDC is also keen to note that its 2021 Mach 1 shaker hood does not yield any sort of horsepower or torque gains. The system could possibly result in cooler ambient air temperatures (IAT2) entering the engine, but it isn’t enough to translate to any significant performance improvement, other than perhaps keeping the engine bay a bit cooler at the track.

Regardless, aside from looking cool, it’s worth noting that CDC also designed the 2003-2004 Mustang Mach 1’s shaker hood, which is why this one looks so similar. That OEM appearance is certainly desirable, as is its reported fit and finish. Constructed from aluminum, the shaker hood is designed to clear the factory strut tower brace and includes all of the hardware needed for installation, all for an asking price of $1,195.

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
While I appreciate the nostalgic value of the Shaker, I don't like unnecessary gimmicks on a car. And I wonder when I see this if the owner even knows whether there's a 4bbl. Holly sitting under the hood, or FI? My favorite, however, is the clapped out lowered Honda Civic I see around town. The dummy "racecar" driver behind the wheel put a giant F 1 wing on the rear, has a Shaker style hood scoop on the hood, and, my favorite Honda mod of all time, a giant fart exhaust. Oh, and it's an automatic. I doubt the racecar driver can drive a stick. I'm off subject, better shut up.

·
Super Moderator
9,333 Posts
Well, the reason they put the F1 wing on the back is so they're easier to pick up when you blow the engine trying to "race" it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts