Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
NZ FPV and Tickford Club
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I have a 97 EL Fairmont Ghia V8 that has had Koni (i think) headers and big bore exhust fitted by previous owner. My additions are a 65 mm throttle body and 70 mm AFM. This is giving me 148 KW at the wheels. The next thing I am looking at doing is upping the injectors to 24 lb units. So here are some questions.

1. Do I need to modifly fuel pump or any other system to incorperate this modifciation?

2. What are the best brand injectors to use?

3. What KW increase could I expect with this mod?

Thanks

·
300+rwkw DC LTD Member
1,622 Posts
I think all you need to do is change the regulator to suit the new pressure.

That's what I was told..

·
Australian Ford Member
252 Posts
Yeah - what he said... Where are your mixtures? Don't think you'd be running out of fuel (duty cycle) with just pipes...
Is it a post-Sept car with the 'Explorer' intake?

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Hi,

I was recently making enquiries about getting 24lb injectors in my baby, and was told the best way to go would be to get an adjustable fuel regulator first.

I was told the 19lb injectors run lean, and with an adjustable regulator, can be pushed up to 22lb's.

And that way - if you do need to go for the bigger injectors, you have the adjustable fuel regulator already so you wont need to change it when you get the bigger injectors.

·
NZ FPV and Tickford Club
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Explorer Head

Thanks for your replies. Should mention what I whant to achieve with this vehicle and that is similar performance to AUII XR 8 ie 220 kw at the the fly wheel. Some more questions.....

1. I dont quite know how to tell if the 'duty cycle' is inadequate. I guess dyno/exhaust gas analysiser require for this?

2. My vehicle is a Sep 97 build and I was told by the mechanic that did the last set of upgrades that it was pushing more power beforehand than he had expected considering just the exhaust upgrade. Maybe it got the explore heads early. Is there any way to differentiate between the standard and explorer head?

3. $/KW wise, would it be better to get heads ported and polished before getting regulator and doing injectors?

·
Registered
253 Posts
19 lbs injectors are good up till 330 hp- then you'll go to 24's. Adjustable fuel regulator is the next option. If you can sit your car on a dyno and get someone to stick a Lambda sensor in the back tailpipe to check your mix when they set the regulator.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Mr GTHO said:
19 lbs injectors are good up till 330 hp- then you'll go to 24's. Adjustable fuel regulator is the next option. If you can sit your car on a dyno and get someone to stick a Lambda sensor in the back tailpipe to check your mix when they set the regulator.
Yeah I was thinking about 24's... got a few things to consider. As of last friday, my lambda reading was 1.0.. but the other thing is that I've already got an adjustable reg, but haven't fitted yet..

hmm...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Another area to consider is the fuel pump and fuel lines/rails. You really need to keep the fuel up to your engine to get the best out of your injectors.

·
NZ FPV and Tickford Club
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doh, need to learn to read

Thanks for the good advice. I just re-read my post and see that it is the 'intake' that could be the explorer verson. How do you tell the difference????

·
Australian Ford Member
252 Posts
Just by looking at it.... eeek. Wish I had some pics..
The good intake has fine 'ribs' cast into the plenum; four across the top surface and about seven along the plenum's vertical surface. See if yours looks just like an AU; if it does, you won't have to spend money on an intake.
This intake has larger runners - good for go.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts

·
NZ FPV and Tickford Club
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

Great, thanks a lot. Unfortunately, mine has the origonal intake etc. If I was to fit a modified intake system, would the GT 40 ones be the best option over the explorer variant? What else would you have to modify?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts